Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:57:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Roof Rack suggestions  (Read 1265 times)

rustyski

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Hi all,

Looking to purchase a roof rack for my 2019 Subaru Impreza without breaking the bank. Anyone have any recommendations?  I am looking at some of the Malone systems and they seem to be highly reviewed.  Primarily car topping a 2021 Hobie Outback.

Boats:
2019 Hobie Outback

Event Finishes:
2020 AOTY 5th Place
2020 Tiny Fish Slam Winner
2019 Tiny Fish Slam 2nd

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Good luck buying a roof rack "without breaking the bank"!  All the real roof racks are horribly expensive. 

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Good luck buying a roof rack "without breaking the bank"!  All the real roof racks are horribly expensive.
This ^^^^^^ unless you find one used.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Larry_MayII_HR

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
The best dirt-bag method I have to suggest is scavenging from junkyards. If you can find an OEM rack in a junkyard that might be the cheapest route. There might also be universal cross-bars in there that you could use, if your car already has rails. Requires some sleuthing.

Used racks from used gear retailers like next adventure (Portland) or peak sports (Corvallis) might also be good places to look. I purchased used Yakima jet-stream bars (sooo much quieter than the round ones) and baseline towers from peak sports annex in Corvallis and the total cost plus the new parts I had to buy new online to complete the package was $275. New cost MSRP is like $600 off the shelf.

Happy hunting!

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Re-rack, connected to Next Adventure, got me setup with a rack that did not drill through and held my outback and revos for years prior to me selling it.  I think i paid 275 total.  They sell used racks and often have contracts with several of the junkyards.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

SHAWSCOT

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jun 2021
Yakima Racks setting in the garage for years.  Fits Subaru Forester $100

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Requisite Note on Safety:  If you go with any rack system that isn't mechanically attached to the body (this includes the ones that clamp into your door frame, always use bow and stern lines!  Between the excessive weight of SOT's and their large surface area, they put a lot of stress on connection points.  We had a member who found this out the hard way on HWY26 and my neighbor thought he only needed a bow line until his rack came free and the swinging kayak/Rack Assy nearly totaled his truck.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Requisite Note on Safety:  If you go with any rack system that isn't mechanically attached to the body (this includes the ones that clamp into your door frame, always use bow and stern lines!  Between the excessive weight of SOT's and their large surface area, they put a lot of stress on connection points.  We had a member who found this out the hard way on HWY26 and my neighbor thought he only needed a bow line until his rack came free and the swinging kayak/Rack Assy nearly totaled his truck.

Great advice. It used to be (and most likely still is) required by law to have a bow and stern line in Washington state.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 12:05:53 PM by Dungydog »
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Once you find the appropriately rated rack for your car, be patient and flexible but be persistent and watch Craigslist for all or or bits and pieces of the rack setup.  Negotiate the price and you'll get a good system that is fractions of the retail price.

Don't be afraid of quality used racks. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
throwing ur outback up top has got to be a pain, trailer it?

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
For my Outback, I load my Rev16 on the stock racks and tie off. 

How much are the stock racks on a Forester rated for?

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008

Great advice. It used to be (and most likely still is) required by law to have a bow and stern line in Washington state.

Yup, still is.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Used (Craigslist/facebook market/etc) is perfect for not breaking the bank and getting brand name gear.  People are selling it all the time since they sell a car and their rack system no longer fits their new ride.  Its pretty easy to get a great deal on a used rack system through there. 

anything