Forum > Oregon Kayak Fishing

Sturgeon Love

(1/6) > >>

Spot:
All this recent talk of sturgeon lit a fire under me.  Wednesday I racked up some WAF points cooking and baking with the girlfriend which gave me the smallest of windows on Thursday (Thanksgiving Day) morning.  I knew it’d be tight but I just had to take the shot.

This was a spur of the moment deal so I hadn’t prepped anything.  The search for my sturgeon tackle was frantic.  Loading was a blur.  In the end I was forced to double back from the end of my block to fetch a forgotten anchor.

Toyota Hole?  Grain Silo?  Marquam? George Rogers?  The Wall?  Scappoose?  I still hadn’t decided on a destination when I reached the 1st major street.  In the end, I would return to my old faithful, the MC.

Once again, I found myself racing flocks of Canadian geese from one end of the island to the other.  A pair of bald eagles stretched and vaulted from their enormous nest.  A coyote bounded after a quail it had flushed from dew heavy grass.  God, I love this place!

The Channel was quiet this morning.  I exchanged greetings with the dock crew and launched from the inside to avoid their lines.  Near the corner, a hapless fisher flagged me down and asked me to help dislodge an oversize which had tied itself to a submerged tree.  Thought I had it.  Was sure I had it.  Didn’t get it…..  No joy.  He thanked me for making an effort and told me that it still qualified as a deposit in my karmic bank account.

While I’d struggled to free the gentleman’s fish, 3 boats filled in the hole on which I’d set my sights.  Undaunted, I struck up a conversation as I paddled by, hooted a brief battle with a shaker and nonchalantly deployed my anchor 20 yards below them.  For the next hour, I fed sandshrimp to persnickety sturgeon from the end of my line.

I knew a change was needed so I switched over to pickled smelt.  Within 15min I had a 3’ shaker in my lap.
 Another ½ hour of micro bites passed and I added a shrimp to my offering.  This time, my rod tip danced.  Reeling down, I waited for another good pull and then reefed into something substantial.

This fish was not going to come easily.  I was loaded for bear with 50lb power-pro on a Penn 320 attached to a Heavy Ugly Stick but there would be no horsing this bad boy.  My job was limited to managing the amount of line it took from me. 

I tightened the drag a notch and suddenly realized I was a good 20yards downstream of where I’d been when I hooked up.  Time to throw the anchor!  Woohoo! 

15min and probably 400 yards later, I was again near my anchor buoy but now the fish was tiring.  In fact, it felt as if it suddenly just gave up.  70yards of reeling revealed that my power-pro had wrapped around its tail, barely avoiding the razor sharp scutes.   

After a quick comparison to the sharpied slot marks on my yak, I carefully reached in and claimed my prize.  Maybe there’s something to this karma thing after all.

polepole:
And with that we have a new AOTY leader.  Way to go Spot!!!

-Allen

Pelagic:
Great Job! Way to get it done..  ;D ;D

Fishesfromtupperware:
Waay to go! Good Fishin! Great Story!  :thumbsup:

Wali

PNW:
Spot -
Yeah man! That would be an excellent one for the Yak Fishin' mag, text & all. I gotta get in on this!
(also have a fish n' dive. got any specs on your anchor system?)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version