Forum > Oregon Kayak Fishing

Required marking of crab pots. 2020 new rules

<< < (7/8) > >>

Mojo Jojo:

--- Quote from: crash on September 24, 2019, 07:56:56 AM ---
--- Quote from: Mojo Jojo on September 24, 2019, 07:19:19 AM ---
--- Quote from: crash on September 23, 2019, 08:56:01 PM ---We’ve been putting our angler ID numbers on our floats in California for 3 years now. It’s not an issue. If you loan out a trap you write a note that the person can use your trap. It’s also ok to write more than one angler ID on a buoy.

Just use a sharpie. It’s a non issue.

--- End quote ---
You guys have to put your NAME on it?

--- End quote ---

No.  And neither do you.  Just your angler number.

--- End quote ---
It reads “ must include first and last name  and one of the following”

--- Quote from: RoxnDox on September 24, 2019, 07:56:30 AM ---Jeebus and Muddah Merry! There are so many damn ways in today’s world for people to collect your name, or your phone number, and you are worried about someone snagging it off a damn crab pot?!!? Really??  C’mon guys, you are taking a higher risk anytime you put a kayak in the water. And there is no damn government plot to abuse your crabbing or collect you with UN troops in black helicopters or anything else like that. It’s just trying to collect data on where the damn crab pots might have been placed if the find it wrapped around a damn whale.

--- End quote ---
I’d rather not be “told” I have to display my name in public, can one person tell me without a doubt and honestly believe why they need anything more then my angler ID number to identify my gear. I got no problem writing that on my bouy hell if they gave me a stamped plate with just that # on it I’d attach it to the pot or line. Let’s see how interesting it get next year or the year after once we all have to use the same color floats?

Captain Redbeard:
I don't really mind doing this as I already do it anyway (since I believed at one point I'd be crabbing in WA).

My only question is: Are they going to get technical about whose info is on what crabbing device in a multi-party boat? In other words, my wife and I crab together. We are each allowed to have 3 devices. We usually fish with 5 or 6 total. If it's my info on all 6, but 3 are "hers" for the day and 3 are "mine" for the day, I wonder if an overachieving sheriff will hassle me for that.

Anyone who crabs regularly in WA know what they do up there for the same situation? It's probably a non-issue, I'm mostly just curious.

Tinker:

--- Quote from: RoxnDox on September 24, 2019, 07:56:30 AM ---Jeebus and Muddah Merry! There are so many damn ways in today’s world for people to collect your name, or your phone number, and you are worried about someone snagging it off a damn crab pot?!!? Really??  C’mon guys, you are taking a higher risk anytime you put a kayak in the water. And there is no damn government plot to abuse your crabbing or collect you with UN troops in black helicopters or anything else like that. It’s just trying to collect data on where the damn crab pots might have been placed if the find it wrapped around a damn whale.

--- End quote ---

Okay, you don't mind it, but I do - and I'm not going Jesus, Joseph and Mary over your position.  Dial it back a bit.

--- Quote from: rogerdodger on September 24, 2019, 07:24:40 AM ---It is known (slide 4) that there are Rec gear entanglements in CA (where Rec are required to be marked), from that we can conclude that there are also Rec entanglements in OR (Occam's razor), so starting Jan 1, 2020, we need to mark our floats in OR. 

What portion of the unidentified 52% is Com (that the owner of could not be identified) or unmarked Rec, based on rope, just doesn't add to the discussion or decision making process. 

--- End quote ---

I don't care for the requirement to put my name on the float, but I'm not objecting to marking floats with some form of identification.

Isn't it possible that the reason the researchers can't separate out recreational traps as a source of detritus might be because the float and the trap are long gone by the time the whale is in distress?  Again, I'll mark my floats, but if there's no break-out for the impact of recreational crab gear because they can't tell what is recreational crab gear, I'm not sure what difference this regulation makes.  In 2021, wouldn't we expect to still see roughly half of the stuff hanging on the whales is "unidentified"?  Just sayin'.

It does make a difference, I think.  I don't think many of us like rules and regulations, even seemingly benign regulations like this one, based on guesses and assumptions that aren't supported by data of some kind.

Anyway, Go Whales!  Who loves ya' babies?

RoxnDox:

--- Quote from: Tinker on September 24, 2019, 01:30:45 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Okay, you don't mind it, but I do - and I'm not going Jesus, Joseph and Mary over your position.  Dial it back a bit.

I never mentioned Joe... I wasn’t planning to continue the argument, just a moment of frustration from a career in government data systems and hearing far too many people all over the country bitching about it. Even when they benefit from the data collection.  Carry on expressing your concerns.   :confused2:

Jim
--- End quote ---

Mojo Jojo:

--- Quote from: RoxnDox on September 24, 2019, 05:19:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tinker on September 24, 2019, 01:30:45 PM ---

--- End quote ---

I never mentioned Joe... I wasn’t planning to continue the argument, just a moment of frustration from a career in government data systems and hearing far too many people all over the country bitching about it. Even when they benefit from the data collection.  Carry on expressing your concerns.   :confused2:

Jim

--- End quote ---
Thanks for throwing that in there R-N-D ...... now take a deep breath and in all honesty ...... how many of the studies you did for “the man” that you thought to your self “WTF” .... I know a few good guys in service to “the man” and they can’t believe half the “feces” that comes down the chain, as well as half the “refuse” that came with it. 

Again I have no problem putting my ID number on it hell I’ll even put my home port on the damn thing, but I don’t want my first and last name on it.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version