Forum > Oregon Kayak Fishing

Required marking of crab pots. 2020 new rules

<< < (8/8)

RoxnDox:

--- Quote from: Mojo Jojo on September 24, 2019, 08:35:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: RoxnDox on September 24, 2019, 05:19:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tinker on September 24, 2019, 01:30:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: RoxnDox on September 24, 2019, 07:56:30 AM ---Jeebus and Muddah Merry! There are so many damn ways in today’s world for people to collect your name, or your phone number, and you are worried about someone snagging it off a damn crab pot?!!? Really??  C’mon guys, you are taking a higher risk anytime you put a kayak in the water. And there is no damn government plot to abuse your crabbing or collect you with UN troops in black helicopters or anything else like that. It’s just trying to collect data on where the damn crab pots might have been placed if the find it wrapped around a damn whale.

--- End quote ---

Okay, you don't mind it, but I do - and I'm not going Jesus, Joseph and Mary over your position.  Dial it back a bit.

I never mentioned Joe... I wasn’t planning to continue the argument, just a moment of frustration from a career in government data systems and hearing far too many people all over the country bitching about it. Even when they benefit from the data collection.  Carry on expressing your concerns.   :confused2:

Jim

--- End quote ---
Thanks for throwing that in there R-N-D ...... now take a deep breath and in all honesty ...... how many of the studies you did for “the man” that you thought to your self “WTF” .... I know a few good guys in service to “the man” and they can’t believe half the “feces” that comes down the chain, as well as half the “refuse” that came with it. 

Again I have no problem putting my ID number on it hell I’ll even put my home port on the damn thing, but I don’t want my first and last name on it.

--- End quote ---

I did not do the studies.  I maintained a portion of the database and applications suite that was used by the people doing studies.  I worked primarily with the data collection side rather than the data user side.  But, of the many studies and data usages in my 17 years in that job, the answer to your question is "none".  Our data was water stuff - streams, rivers, wells, precip, water quality, water quantity, etc etc etc. Some of the data collection sites have more than a century of continuous record. 

You CAN NOT do good science without good data.
--- End quote ---

Mojo Jojo:

--- Quote from: RoxnDox on September 24, 2019, 09:39:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Mojo Jojo on September 24, 2019, 08:35:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: RoxnDox on September 24, 2019, 05:19:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tinker on September 24, 2019, 01:30:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: RoxnDox on September 24, 2019, 07:56:30 AM ---Jeebus and Muddah Merry! There are so many damn ways in today’s world for people to collect your name, or your phone number, and you are worried about someone snagging it off a damn crab pot?!!? Really??  C’mon guys, you are taking a higher risk anytime you put a kayak in the water. And there is no damn government plot to abuse your crabbing or collect you with UN troops in black helicopters or anything else like that. It’s just trying to collect data on where the damn crab pots might have been placed if the find it wrapped around a damn whale.

--- End quote ---

Okay, you don't mind it, but I do - and I'm not going Jesus, Joseph and Mary over your position.  Dial it back a bit.

I never mentioned Joe... I wasn’t planning to continue the argument, just a moment of frustration from a career in government data systems and hearing far too many people all over the country bitching about it. Even when they benefit from the data collection.  Carry on expressing your concerns.   :confused2:

Jim

--- End quote ---
Thanks for throwing that in there R-N-D ...... now take a deep breath and in all honesty ...... how many of the studies you did for “the man” that you thought to your self “WTF” .... I know a few good guys in service to “the man” and they can’t believe half the “feces” that comes down the chain, as well as half the “refuse” that came with it. 

Again I have no problem putting my ID number on it hell I’ll even put my home port on the damn thing, but I don’t want my first and last name on it.

--- End quote ---

I did not do the studies.  I maintained a portion of the database and applications suite that was used by the people doing studies.  I worked primarily with the data collection side rather than the data user side.  But, of the many studies and data usages in my 17 years in that job, the answer to your question is "none".  Our data was water stuff - streams, rivers, wells, precip, water quality, water quantity, etc etc etc. Some of the data collection sites have more than a century of continuous record. 

You CAN NOT do good science without good data.

--- End quote ---
So true on the data, if you don’t know the facts, your blind. Just be sure your collection is what’s required and not a bunch of one side misinformation, which unfortunately the corporate $$$ greed has way to much influence in. Case in point “ my opinion” there were way more opinions that get there $$$ from the oceans resources then those who get there staple. Only one recreational crabber “ this time I actually read the entire list” for all the commercial fishermen, in my opinion this is one sided. 

Edit: do the comerciall crabbers put there FULL NAME on there gear? No they don’t, just there state issued ID # all I want on mine!
--- End quote ---

Mojo Jojo:
Ok good night!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version