Forum > Oregon Kayak Fishing

Siltcoos Oct.1 report

(1/4) > >>

rogerdodger:
Opening day report:  the lake is in much better shape than the last few years, 65F, fewer weeds and no big algae bloom.  September rains have brought the water level up, they may have already cracked the dam a bit to clear debris, one more good dose of rain and we might get the first big surge of coho in. 

We covered the entire perimeter of the lake, counterclockwise, but didn't go up either arm. 

This is the 7th year that Pepper and I have fished it Oct.1, we are now 1 for 7 on opening day coho (in 2013, released about a 23" adult coho and retained a jack coho, since then, just SRC and bass on opening day).

Fresh 14" SRC that I retained to bake up for dinner, released another about the same size.   ;D

Clayman:
Thanks for the report Roger! Great news on the water quality front. Coho numbers appear solid in many of the bays right now (judging by how many herring I've fed them these last couple weeks  ::)), so I’m hoping that’ll translate to a solid return to the lakes this year. I’ll be down there after we get some good rains!

bb2fish:
Roger,  Thank you for your fish report.   
Definitely will get into Siltocos this year for some salmon action. 
Really appreciate your photos and inte.  Thanks!
Barb

rogerdodger:
nothing good to report from Siltcoos, Oct.13.   water temp 60F, water level has dropped (not due to drop more until...), sort of a disappointing late algae bloom, but worst of all, no sign of coho.  next big rain is key to this fishery.    ;D

rogerdodger:
dam opening has been increased as of Sunday 20th, river moving nicely, first reports of coho being caught.   this is looking like an excellent week to fish the coho lakes.   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version