Forum > Montana Kayak Fishing

Lake trout fishing on Flathead Lake

(1/1)

pmmpete:
Today I caught 7 lake trout in 90 feet of water between Dream Island and Melita Island, including a 34.5" and a 33" lake trout.  Those two fish were too big for my cooler, so I hauled them back to the launch site and put them in a cooler in my car, and them went back out for more.  Despite the pauses in action created by the two trips to offload fish, by 10:30 I decided I had enough fish for the day, so I quit. A couple pictures of the beefy 33" lake trout are shown below.

I had heard reports that the lake whitefish are starting to come into shallower water, and could be found mixed with lake trout, but I didn't see any on my fish finder or catch any.

Mojo Jojo:
Damn Pete, you use hamsters for bait!  >:D love the scenery and the fish, you trying to convince me to take a week off of costal living for the big sky experience? Would love to fish that and grab some roadside big game!! 

pmmpete:
We could do a trade - I'll show you some fishing in Montana, if you show me some fishing on the coast when I come out for ORC.

pmmpete:
I fished in the Melita Island area this morning, and found a concentration of lake trout in 90 feet of water.  By 8:00 a.m. I had five fish (29", 29", 28.5", 28", and 25").  This was all the fish I wanted to process, but I poked around for another hour and caught a pretty big fish, which I estimated to be 34"-36", and which I released.

At one point I encountered a nest of lake trout, and raised my lure to see how they would respond.  That produced kind of a lake trout explosion.  I took a picture of my fish finder screen.

I looked for lake whitefish, but didn't find any.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version