Forum > Recipes

Making kokanee caviar

(1/2) > >>

pmmpete:
I made a batch of caviar with eggs from some 14"-15" kokanee I caught on July 21.  It was very tasty.  The kokanee eggs will be a lot bigger when they spawn In October.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the taste and texture of caviar from ready-to-spawn kokanee compares to this caviar.

redfish85:
Never had caviar, how's the taste? Looks good though

pmmpete:

--- Quote from: redfish85 on July 23, 2018, 09:50:06 AM ---Never had caviar, how's the taste? Looks good though

--- End quote ---
Caviar is kind of salty, without any strong flavor, and it has a somewhat grainy or crunchy texture.  If you search the internet for caviar for sale, it's very expensive, so it's worth making your own!  You could get a taste of caviar or something similar at a sushi restaurant.  It's great on crackers, either straight or with cream cheese and other additions, and is also used in a variety of recipes.

Idaho Brit:

--- Quote from: pmmpete on July 22, 2018, 09:53:57 PM ---I made a batch of caviar with eggs from some 14"-15" kokanee I caught on July 21.  It was very tasty.  The kokanee eggs will be a lot bigger when they spawn In October.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the taste and texture of caviar from ready-to-spawn kokanee compares to this caviar.

--- End quote ---

That looks great. Did you ever try cooking the soft roe [milt]. I used to love butter fried soft herring roe on toast back in the mother country but have  not been able to find any in the US. I wonder if the soft roe from Kokanee would be good. Hmm.

Ling Banger:
If you had a crappy cooler with the drain plug at the bottom you could keep it chilly and hit it with one of these.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/spo/d/smoke-chief-cold-smoker/6651223465.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version