Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:40:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:21:36 PM]

[Today at 12:53:59 PM]

[Today at 12:52:48 PM]

[Today at 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Rubber landing net temporary repairs on the water  (Read 2606 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I'm a big fan of rubber landing nets, because it's way easier to extract a treble hook lure from a rubber net than it is to extract one from a mesh or a rubber-covered-mesh net.  But when you catch big fish, they can jam their nose and lower jaw into holes in the net and thrash around and spin over and over, and their teeth and the hooks in their mouth can cut pieces of a rubber net.  Which you don't notice until a subsequent fish sticks its nose into the enlarged hole and slips through your net, either creating a big hassle (if it's still hooked), or leaving you fishless (if it's no longer hooked).  A surprisingly large fish can slide through the enlarged hole created by a single break in a rubber net.

To temporarily repair a hole in my landing net, I clip a couple of duolock clips to the net, so if I discover a break in my net I can clip the net back together while I'm on the water. When I get home, I repair the break with a loop of duct tape.

I've already bought a replacement rubber net for my landing net, but I'm going to see how long I can keep my present net going with duct tape repairs.

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Is that Gorilla duct tape?  If not I would suggest that product for many uses besides your net fix. The adhesive is as good as it gets with a very strong backing material. Great for patching rips in your nylon tents until you can repair the damage.

Although the rubber-covered nets are cheaper than the all rubber ones, there is a benefit in that very sharp-toothed critters like northern pike and lingcod will not be able to cleanly slice through a net as easily that has a "core" of stranded material inside. The all rubber net let's those teeth slide through like a razor blade. I use the coated ones on salmon nets and trout nets and besides the savings they seem to be working as well as the high dollar ones.

I've got a ton of those snaps of all sizes. Thanks for the idea; I'll snap a few on my own nets too!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Although the rubber-covered nets are cheaper than the all rubber ones, there is a benefit in that very sharp-toothed critters like northern pike and lingcod will not be able to cleanly slice through a net as easily that has a "core" of stranded material inside. The all rubber net let's those teeth slide through like a razor blade. I use the coated ones on salmon nets and trout nets and besides the savings they seem to be working as well as the high dollar ones.
Klondike Kid, what brand of rubber-coated-mesh landing nets have you found to be easy to remove hooks from?  The rubber-coated-mesh nets which I've used are only a bit better than straight mesh nets.  If you can recommend a rubber-coated-mesh net which works as well as a rubber net, I will definitely try one out.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 05:51:34 PM by pmmpete »