Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2024, 05:01:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by PNW
[Today at 03:12:21 PM]

[Today at 01:06:32 PM]

[Today at 01:03:16 PM]

[Today at 07:56:46 AM]

[May 24, 2024, 10:50:02 AM]

[May 24, 2024, 06:36:26 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 07:06:28 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:37:37 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:35:15 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:33:32 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

[May 21, 2024, 04:51:49 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 01:07:12 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Kayakin the Big Horn  (Read 4115 times)

tatco

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
Anyone on here kayak fish the Big Horn River out of Ft Smith Montana? Or for that mater any other river in Montana. I get up there 3 - 4 times a year. Like to talk about it. Thanks.

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Tatco, how's the current in mid-summer??  Do-able?
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

tatco

• Krill
Because it's a tail water fishery with subordinated water rights, the flow the last couple of years has been below 3000cfs. I run it all the time in my drift boat without any trouble. Lots of brown and rainbow. Average is 16 to 18 inch. Usually manage to catch some over 20 on each trip.

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Is this a fly-fishin river???
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

tatco

• Krill
Yes it's a fly fishing river, primarily. But you do see some spin guys. It's fly and lure only except for the Indians. They use bait, so we sometimes see them pull out some really nice fish. Most guys catch and release. It can get crowded in the summer. Lots of guides and drift boats. I usually stay away during June, July, and August. The hoppers and streamers pick up in September. In my opinion that's the best time to fish the river from Sept on. I've had days were there were only a handful of guys at the launch site.

But it's good size river so room for all. The first three miles is the most crowded. Then the next 6. Good put in take out ramps.

andyjade

• Sturgeon
  • Photo Dump
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Smith River is epic if you can draw a permit.  This year has been drawn already, but it's worth putting it on your calendar for 2010.  I'm up there for parts of the year, and have done a few rivers.  PM me if you wanna chat.....
Blog/Photo Dump

Editor, The Milkcrate, Kayak Angler Lifestyle.

olddog22202

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Tatco,
I am taking the son to the BH this July to introduce him to the chaos but,like you, I prefer to fish it in the fall.  Have thought about fishing it this time using an Access XP kickboat.  Have yet to buy the boat so only an idea now.  I fished it several years ago in a float tube but not comfortable repeating the experience.
Mike

tatco

• Krill
Olddog I've fished it from a personal pontoon boat, with my lab on a platform i put on the back. It was fine for that river. See a lot of guys using them.

Therickers

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I haven't been on the Bighorn yet. I have kayak fished on these Montana streams.

McDonald Creek (Glacier Park)
North fork Flathead River
Middle Fork Flathead River
Main stem Flathead River (Blankenship Bridge to the lake)
Lower Flathead (on CSKT lands)
Clearwater River
Clark Fork River
Bitterroot River
Marias River

Here are a couple of pictures The bear was on The Lower Flathead River and the other pic is a high mountain lake in The Bitterroot Range

anything