Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:24:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:38:44 PM]

[Today at 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Hobie Outback vs Revolution 13 vs Adventure 16 (or Revo 16)  (Read 4945 times)

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Would like to read some comments on primary and secondary stability in choppy sea, like the Strait, of those 3 boats.  Thanks in advance!
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'm sure you'll get more detailed responses from someone else, and there are probably some good threads on here from previous years you can look up.

I have an Outback (pre-2019 body style) and a Revo13. To me they're just completely different boats. The Outback has so much primary stability that I don't know if I've ever really tested the secondary stability (my wife has done re-entry practice in it but I haven't).

The Revo13 has far less primary stability but more secondary stability than I would have expected. I'm comparing it mostly to my Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140, which has more primary stability but less secondary stability (this makes sense if you look at the hulls - the Tarpon has a sharp chine and the Revo doesn't). Once you tip the Tarpon past a certain point you're done, but it's a little harder to get there. The Revo13 feels a little more squirrelly under your butt but is more forgiving when it tips a bit.

You didn't ask about the other differences, but... I've found what everyone says about the "quality of life" in the Revo being a bit lower is pretty true. I've had to get pretty efficient and tidy with so little deck space. But I've also found the speed differences well worth the trade-off. Both the Outback and Revo are equipped with turbo fins, and I can definitely cruise at a higher speed with less effort than the Outback, especially in the wind. The lower gunwale of the Revo makes for a significantly wetter ride if there is surface chop, but again, to me it's worth it because the lower profile doesn't catch the wind as bad as the ginormous side profile of the Outback.

Let us know what you choose and why and how you like it! They're both great boats.

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
Sold my Adventure to a newbie.  NOw the fun begins!!  My first choice is a used Revo 13, but I'm not having any luck finding one on various sites, including Offerup, Craigslist, and Austin Kayaks used listings.  Found a couple older Outbacks, but no great deals.  Found a Malibu X-factor with trolling motor, rudder, FF etc etc but it's a 14.4 and weighs 100lbs. I've got $1600 to play with, that doesn't go far for a new 13-15 footer with pedal drive!!  Kayak Academy has a NOS 15.5 Jackson Kraken that has 30.5 inch beam and looks to be a pretty fast boat, but no rudder and no pedals, but a great boat for open water in the Strait, which is where I mostly kayak fish in July--August.
   I bought my first Hobie in about 2000, a Revo 13 from Hobie Cats Northwest (remember Dan??). I demo'd the Outback and the Revo, there was no comparison---the Outback was a comparative dog to pedal, hardly any glide. Both yaks had excellent primary stability, did not test 2ndary. Sold the Revo buy the Adventure, after trying unsuccesfully to keep up with Bryce (then AKA Zeelander)  in his Red Adventure when we fished Dolphin Point. 
Nice stable boat (33inch beam) but my days of tossing 104 lbs up onto a kayak rack are over, rotator cuff problems.  Could get a trailer, I suppose...decisions!!!  There are a few 13 footers  for sale, like trident 13s and
Predators, about which I have no knowledge.  Anybody got any thoughts/advice/great deals???
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I own Tridents and paddling doesn't aggravate my worn out shoulder, even after a long day of casting.  Just FYI on that in case you decide to go the paddle route.

When you do decide what you want, I'd suggest checking what's for sale the NCKA site, too.  They'll be a goodly distance from you, but there's usually a mostly stock Hobie or two up for sale at a reasonable price, and you can often find someone doing an NCKA Express trip who'll get it closer to you.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

• Date Registered: Dec 2018
If this tells you anything; I work for a Hobie dealer and have access to a Hobie demo fleet at all times. I have my own Hobie i11s, but I only use it for certain applications. When I want to take something else out, 8 times out of 10 I've been using the 2019 Outback. I love the Revo 16 and have even considered getting one a few times, but the ease of rigging on the Outback, the deck layout, and the comfort of the primary stability make it my go to for most days (especially considering that I generally go out with other people and always like to be in a boat I feel comfortable rescuing someone in). That being said, it sounds like you're a seasoned kayaker and are after speed, so if you're comfortable with less stability and want to go fast, the Revo 16 is absolutely the jam (seriously, I got it up to 9mph at a full sprint). I used one about as much as I used the Outback last year, I might just be obsessing with the 2019 because it's the cool new kid on the block & it's so dang comfortable.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
If this tells you anything; I work for a Hobie dealer and have access to a Hobie demo fleet at all times. I have my own Hobie i11s, but I only use it for certain applications. When I want to take something else out, 8 times out of 10 I've been using the 2019 Outback. I love the Revo 16 and have even considered getting one a few times, but the ease of rigging on the Outback, the deck layout, and the comfort of the primary stability make it my go to for most days (especially considering that I generally go out with other people and always like to be in a boat I feel comfortable rescuing someone in). That being said, it sounds like you're a seasoned kayaker and are after speed, so if you're comfortable with less stability and want to go fast, the Revo 16 is absolutely the jam (seriously, I got it up to 9mph at a full sprint). I used one about as much as I used the Outback last year, I might just be obsessing with the 2019 because it's the cool new kid on the block & it's so dang comfortable.

Yeah, I am going to go with what he said.   ;D
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
Found a (barely) used 2017 Revo for $1750 with the big pneumo wheels , pulled the trigger and am enjoying the ride!  It's a weird grass green, but hey---- we can't all have a red one!

Anybody in the Tacoma area want to fish Point Defiance with me??

henney

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I was wondering who bought that thing before I could get to it.

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
I saw the ad 2 hours after it was posted, just lucky chance----guy had already had 3 calls!!!   Was more than I had budgeted, but it is cherry!
And I like the green color, my first Revo was red, the Adventure dune.  THe seat is amazingly comfortable.  The old soft seat in my pother Hobies was hard on the ass.

anything