Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 09:44:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:36:10 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: 2022 Newport / Yaquina herring thread  (Read 6558 times)

• Date Registered: Jan 2022
I've never done the herring thing before, would ya mind if I joined ya next weekend Zach.Dennis?

I'm assuming there isn't much to it, once ya find a school. Just use a sabiki rig?

Does anyone ever use some sort of jig or swimbait, as the weight on the bottom of the rig?
I would imagine there are at least a few predatory fish hanging under or around the schools....

I have.

Caught a nice flounder on the bottom jig.

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I've never done the herring thing before, would ya mind if I joined ya next weekend Zach.Dennis?

I'm assuming there isn't much to it, once ya find a school. Just use a sabiki rig?

Does anyone ever use some sort of jig or swimbait, as the weight on the bottom of the rig?
I would imagine there are at least a few predatory fish hanging under or around the schools....
If you fish near structure, you can find small rockfish and sometimes a large lingcod. I saw a guy catch a 36" ling by the embarcadero breakwater during the herring run a couple years ago, fishing a live herring.

Size 8 hooks are the way to go for most of these herring. I've seen some guys skunk out merely because they brought sabiki rigs with too large or too small of hooks, so I wouldn't deviate too much from size 8.
aMayesing Bros.

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Great!
Thanks guys!
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I will be there looking for another limit tomorrow and will be on 69 if anyone wants to say hello. The outgoing tide at the beginning of the day is probably not ideal, but I will stick around as long as it takes. Can’t really think of a better place to hide from the wife for the day 😉

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
It was a lot of fun to get there a couple hours before daylight and have the place to myself! I crossed the bay around 4:00am. As soon as I made it into the marina near Embarcadero the screen on my ff was lit up. There were much thicker and larger schools than last weekend. The sea lions were a lot more active too! There were large groups of them working the herring. I could hear them slapping the surface all over but it was tough to see. After a while of jigging into the thick clouds of bait and not catching much other than a single snagged fish on occasion and an adrenaline rush from the sea lions startling the hell out of me I decided to work towards the commercial boats where there was some light and hopefully less sea lions! Although there was lots of light around the commercial boats, the bait balls were smaller and it was still scratch fishing. Eventually I pedaled back up to the Embarcadero where the clouds of bait were much thicker, even though it was dark and I would be fishing with the scary pods of sea lions, lol. The fishing remained scratchy until right at daylight then it turned on like a light. My buddy Andrew was going to be coming later in the morning so I decided to be selective in order to not limit too fast. I shook off lots of smaller herring and only kept big halibut bait sized herring. The big ones seemed to only be coming in singles and doubles. After an hour or 2 I was part way to a limit so I got off the water, had breakfast, then met Andrew back at the bay. When we got back the fish had moved and it took us a while to find them down by the commercial boats. When we did find them it was again a solid screen full of bait. This  time the fish were mostly blacks and it was a none stop bite. We got our limits quickly and headed back to the launch. I am really excited to turn these beautiful shiny fish into big ugly rockfish and halibut!
Here are some photos of the night and a photo of our processed catch

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Great report, appreciate it so I can live vicariously through you!

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
That's it! I'm going to do this next year! Looks like a LOT of fun!

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

• Date Registered: Jan 2022

WetNet

• Perch
  • ...or where the fish are
  • Date Registered: Jun 2021
Think I might try to get down this week while I wait for the Willamette to get back into shape. Anyone?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 05:41:17 PM by WetNet »
Sometimes bad things happen to good fish.

2021 Old Town Big Water

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Looking at weather more than 20 minutes out is a bit of a crap shoot, but I have been watching Sunday. The wind forecast is bouncing around, but it looks to be dry if not sunny.

Will the little buggers still be there to be had?
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

WetNet

• Perch
Tomorrow looks good 😁 Jigging before dawn looks like fun but I don't know if I'd trust the commercials not running me over.

2021 Old Town Big Water

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Tomorrow looks good 😁 Jigging before dawn looks like fun but I don't know if I'd trust the commercials not running me over.
be ready for rain or at least showers/drizzle,  another front moving through on Wednesday, gonna be wet.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

WetNet

• Perch
Always ready to get wet 😄

2021 Old Town Big Water

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Rookie question to all of the experts out there. Sunday looks like a pretty damn nice day in Newport. Partly sunny, not cold, light wind.

Question is, will the herring still be there and will there be enough space on the water for a kayak :) Planning on dropping a few crab traps as well.  I think I have the drill from the great info here and the sometimes good info on YouTube. Have my Size 8 Sabiki rigs and an ice chest :)

Any input and or company welcome. 8-9a start.
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

WetNet

• Perch
I'll be down there with 200 of my closest friends, should be some left over  😁

2021 Old Town Big Water