Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 06:15:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:19:54 AM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Essential outerwear for kayak fishing  (Read 61408 times)

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Thanks for all the additional input. Now I have a plan.

Chris

AK-Yakster

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
OK, after searching the forum, I have this question aimed at Kokatat owners/ambassadors.  I live and fish in Alaska. I'm looking to buy a semi dry suit.  I was poised to buy a T3 but then a helpful person pointed out that given the 20% annual REI discount, a lightweight Gore-Tex was about the same price. 

So...  Light weight Gore-tex or the new T3 Angler? Can someone help the boy....

Thanks....
Yeah....I'm a kayak geek.....

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
I have a Kokatat T3 Super Nova Angler which I wear even on freshwater in the summer.  It has held up well over the last 3 seasons.  I rinse it well after each trip and treat the latex wrist gaskets and zippers every few trips.  I am not sure of the advantage of Gore-Tex over the Tropos.  I am not much of a sweater so the Tropos breathes well enough for me.  Is Gore-Tex more durable?  More UV resistant?  Breathe better? 

Tropos versus Gore-Tex: http://www.kayakacademy.com/pages/store/tropos.html

demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

• Visits from AZ
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
This has got to be the longest thread, ever, spanning 6 years?? Glad you saved it for me as I am convinced that my late, summer-fall trips to the deep Strait chasing coho have been unnecessarily risky. I'll be retuning in a Super Nova in a couple of weeks. Being a recreational outdoor athlete from the desert, I am an efficient sweater, so a little concerned about heat. I have experienced huli's (where does that word come from) a couple of times, normally, immediately ending my day. Thankfully close to shore. Now that I frequent open water, I must listen to sound safety advice. Thank you NWKA! And don't take this thread away.
2010 OK Scupper Pro
2015 Wilderness Thresher 140

dberd

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Congrats on the suit...best money spent in our area, I think. My take on huli is Hawaiian rotisserie meat. Huli...rotisserie. ..gurgle
" History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man"  BOC

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
This has got to be the longest thread, ever, spanning 6 years?? Glad you saved it for me as I am convinced that my late, summer-fall trips to the deep Strait chasing coho have been unnecessarily risky. I'll be retuning in a Super Nova in a couple of weeks. Being a recreational outdoor athlete from the desert, I am an efficient sweater, so a little concerned about heat. I have experienced huli's (where does that word come from) a couple of times, normally, immediately ending my day. Thankfully close to shore. Now that I frequent open water, I must listen to sound safety advice. Thank you NWKA! And don't take this thread away.

I get hot easily too and I have that suit. Pouring water over your legs and arms helps a lot, as the evaporation immediately starts to cool those areas. Between that and pouring (fresh) water on my head I've managed to stay cool enough even in the sun.

I also wear breathable, light clothes underneath when in warm conditions. There is a lot of good advice on the forums to dress for the water temperature and not the air temperature. I agree with that, sort of, but nonetheless comfort is a safety factor too as you won't make good decisions if you're overheated all day. So decide for yourself, but I think using these measures you can stay reasonably cool in that suit.

• Visits from AZ
Thanks, Captain. I agree, a wet hat sometimes does the trick.
DK
2010 OK Scupper Pro

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Thanks, Captain. I agree, a wet hat sometimes does the trick.
DK
I paddle in a wetsuit that's black I carry my "air conditioner" a measuring cup on a string 2 cups I think , also water in my wetsuit boots help keep me cooler. Sometimes just dunking the feet help also.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
With regard to the term "huli", I believe we've borrowed it from Polynesian outrigger canoe culture where it refers to capsizing, often from leaning too far on the opposite side of the ama.    I did a short trip with an outrigger canoe club on Maui this past spring and the said they do huli recovery practice about once a month.  I asked about the term and they said that it meant "to curl over like a wave" in Hawaiian.   However, the whole canoe club was pretty much made up of retired haoles, so who knows.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

• Visits from AZ
I resemble that remark! a couple of times. You can add that to the new glossary section of the website if they make one. You guys talk in code sometimes, so I'll just risk sounding stupid and start asking.Thanks.
2010 OK Scupper Pro

jim-dawg

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
no such thing as a stupid question....only stupid mistakes (and some are "God forbid", fatal).....ask away.  It's the easy way to get info from those with more experience than oneself................

Beachmaster90

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
I am moving to Alaska this May/June and I am wondering what would be the best combo with what I already have for outerwear. I plan on fishing lakes but would like to get out onto the salt (homer, seward) on calm days.

For outerwear that I can bring, I have:

4/3 mil surfing wet-suit what I usually wear in CA on the ocean)
Waders that someone got me for xmas: http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-Neoprene-Stocking-Waders/dp/B003TWHNJC
Farmer john wet-suit bottom/overalls that I believe are 5/6 because they are MUCH thicker than my 3/4 (can't find a tag with thickness)
Rain pants, rain coat

As of now I don't have the money for a dry suit, but I might be able to save enough by the time I move.

I appreciate any advice!

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I am moving to Alaska this May/June and I am wondering what would be the best combo with what I already have for outerwear. I plan on fishing lakes but would like to get out onto the salt (homer, seward) on calm days.

For outerwear that I can bring, I have:

4/3 mil surfing wet-suit what I usually wear in CA on the ocean)
Waders that someone got me for xmas: http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-Neoprene-Stocking-Waders/dp/B003TWHNJC
Farmer john wet-suit bottom/overalls that I believe are 5/6 because they are MUCH thicker than my 3/4 (can't find a tag with thickness)
Rain pants, rain coat

As of now I don't have the money for a dry suit, but I might be able to save enough by the time I move.

I appreciate any advice!

Hmmm.......I'm in the "gotta have a dry suit" camp.  BUT I fish alone, mainly saltwater and year round.  I have taken my kids out on lakes with nothing but normal clothes and PFD.  I wore my drysuit even though airtemp was close to 70's in case something happened.   Peak of the summer, we swim in the lakes so you could get by with just a PFD if the mosquitoes don't eat you alive. 

Air temps in the summer will be in the 50's and 60's mainly.  Water temps in the ocean I'd say is in the forties. 

I don't know how well the wet suits work.  Maybe some of the folks who tried them and have some colder temp experience can chime in.   People canoe here all the time without any immersion gear on the lakes and I'd say my kayak is a hell of a lot more stable than a canoe.

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Beachmaster90

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
I was thinking about bringing my canoe for lakes... but I agree, why canoe and fish when you can kayak and fish?

• Date Registered: Jun 2021
I am looking into purchasing a drysuit but seems all the ones I click on are not my size, I am 5.11 & 165lbs my price range is 700 or less. any thoughts or tips are welcome. I have zero knowledge in this subject.

The last time I complained, I got a divorce, Haven't complained since

anything