Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 04:23:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:53:02 PM]

[Today at 09:33:15 AM]

by DBam
[May 06, 2024, 10:23:23 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: DIY Garmin Striker 4 Plus to Hobie Lowrance-ready  (Read 1913 times)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I found a few references to similar solutions online but no pictures, and so I thought I could add to the conversation for someone else.

Lowrance and I are seeing other people (it's complicated), and I wanted to outfit my wife's 2016 Hobie Outback LE with her first fish finder. I felt the Garmin Striker 4 was a good value, so that's the direction I went.

After a little research it looked like there were a few aftermarket options for a new transducer plate that would accommodate the Garmin hardware but I wasn't convinced it was necessary, so I bought some small angle aluminum and used some stainless steel hardware and plastic to make the adaptor pictured below.

The gray plastic is a piece of solid plastic rod that I cut to fit and then drilled out for the bolt. (You could also use nuts to preserve the spacing.) I cut the aluminum on my miter saw and used the bench sander for the edge shaping. The most difficult part was just fitting it in the tight space allotted under the Outback and getting the right amount of washers to space everything out correctly. Notice that I had to cut the front bolt short to fit it in the cavity.

The first on-the-water test was successful and everything seems to work with no problems. I already had the stainless nuts and bolts and plastic left over from other projects, so the cost to me was a piece of angle aluminum from Home Depot.

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Nice, never thought to use those gray rods that come with the new Hobies for that (they are used to tether the drive to the boat for shipping.  I've always kept a couple (I work at a dealer) figuring that they'd be useful for something, now I know!

Kevin

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Nice, never thought to use those gray rods that come with the new Hobies for that (they are used to tether the drive to the boat for shipping.  I've always kept a couple (I work at a dealer) figuring that they'd be useful for something, now I know!

Kevin

Haha that's awesome, I was wondering where that came from.

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I went with a bit more simplistic adapter for my solution back in 2016 when mounting my Striker 4dv transducer. Same result though in the end. Your solution is more impervious to the elements for sure.

https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=18361.0

I run the 4dv when on lakes but put a 5dv on the boat when running in saltwater for the extra signal power and resolution. They are both compatible with this particular transducer.   I do find that the transducer pod area still collects sand and gravel in it that needs to be flushed out or shaken out now and then.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

TheBentRod

• Kayak Angler
  • Herring
  • Can't wait to catch my next fish!
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
I actually bought an EchoMap and returned it because I did not want to go through the installation modifications.  I was being lazy.   :laugh: :laugh:

I didn't have a vise at the time and didn't want to buy one to make the modifications to the angle aluminum.
Thank you all for any kindness provided in the the Pacific Northwest.

2021 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback
2017 Trident 15

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I went with a bit more simplistic adapter for my solution back in 2016 when mounting my Striker 4dv transducer. Same result though in the end. Your solution is more impervious to the elements for sure.

https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=18361.0

Dang! That's like the same post! I googled for it but I should have looked here specifically. Live'n'learn.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Why is it I see these modification posts "after" I do something that is soo much more complicated....... :(
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

anything