Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 12:42:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:31:18 AM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Hobie Island - Solo or Tandem - Questions  (Read 9268 times)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Get in touch with DJ at Nestucca Adventures if you are serious about buying one.  He's all about the TI/ AI and sails the ocean frequently.  He may take you out there.

I was thinking the same thing - he loves to get people out sailing. Give him a call.

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Good to know about Nestucca Adventures, thanks for the tip! I have been talking to West Coast Sailing and they will do a demo down at Willamette Park, which is nice and close.

Would be good to get out in the salt though...I have been wanting to do that in my paddle kayak anyways.

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

6.  My Ti is on a custom trailer put together by Waxer's in Coos Bay.  It has the Hobie cradles and I use it to transport and store.  It is heavy, and would be a bit of work to wrestle it onto a stand in the garage etc. on a regular basis.  Fully rigged, I am glad to have a good winch on my trailer for loading after a trip!  I do use the scupper hole mount wheels on occasion to launch out of the creek behind my house to access Winchester Bay, there are a couple of steep (but short, thankfully) hills on the way and I would really think about how badly I wanted to drag it on a long trek down a steep trail. 

I recently got my new TI and it is a blast to fish and sail.
How do you winch it onto the trailer as I am struggling with recovery? Thought about a winch but don't want to rip any fittings out of the plastic.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Shin09

• Salmon
Regarding trailers, what are you guys using? The Hobie by Trailex? Malone?

Also, are you guys storing the boats on the trailers or taking them off?

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
Regarding trailers, what are you guys using? The Hobie by Trailex? Malone?

Also, are you guys storing the boats on the trailers or taking them off?
Well, I bought the TI but couldnt afford the best trailer which IMHO is the Hobie. I rented a TI on a Hobie trailer and it was nice but $$$$s. So I got a Harbor Freight one, extended the tongue and installed 3" x !0ft pvc conduit which gives v/good support along the scupper lines. Similar to this one. Stores on the trailer with the Amas folded in.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:45:28 PM by Idaho Brit »
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Fishcat

• Don't mind me... just fishing through...
  • Herring
  • A cat does not live by bread alone 🐟
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Hi Idaho,

I hook the winch strap to that handy ring mounted on the bow.  Don't really put that much strain on it, as I nose the yak up onto the cart to start, then use the winch to finish sliding 'er forward.

Haven't noticed any strain or deforming of the plastic, not really that much weight with the bulk of the yak supported by the cradles before starting winching.
2016 Hobie TI Hibiscus

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
For the salt you would be better shopping around for a serviceable used boat trailer or go with the Hobie or Malone. I fish freshwater lakes so corrosion not so much of a concern.

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
Here is a similar project using a used boat trailer.

Shin09

• Salmon
Are you guys backing your trailers into the water and floating the boat off, or off load in the parking lot and cart down the ramp?

Fishcat

• Don't mind me... just fishing through...
  • Herring
  • A cat does not live by bread alone 🐟
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I back down the ramp until the trailer tires are just at the edge of the water without dipping in, then unhook the winch strap and ease it off the trailer into the water.  Depending on where I am launching, sometimes I have the amas out, tramps on and sail rigged in the boat staging area. 

Low branches, less than 25' or so, power lines and room to maneuver at the head of the ramp help me decide if I can rig up before launch.
2016 Hobie TI Hibiscus

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
With the AI, Ijust put the scupper cart under the hull first, then snap on the akas, amas, seat and other essential gear. If I need to go under branches, gates or other items to get to the water, I just take the sail mast out of the bag and lay it over the akas on one side. It's only like 10 or so lbs so lifting it up and dropping it in the mast hole is easy, even on the water.

With a TI and winching. You could make a half tube unit out of PVC that you can rest the bow on. Have a strap that comes up through the Mirage hole and then attached forward to the front aka / mast bracket. Then on the front of the PVC half tube, have a ring or something to hook your winch to.  For additional side to side stability, maybe a few straps or bungee from the PVC up to either side of the front hatch.  There should be a J hook type dealeo on either side of the hatch for the hatch bungee to connect behind. These have holes in them that you could tie a small section of Paracord to for your side to side PVC connections to hook through.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

bluewrx02

• Salmon
  • Facebook
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Have a strap that comes up through the Mirage hole

If you still have the mirage plug, you can modify it to plug in with the straps hanging out the bottom so the pulling force will lift the boat and help it not catch on anything
2011 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2013 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place

2011 Hobie Outback     
2013 Hobie Revo 13     
2014 Hobie Adventure Island

bluewrx02

• Salmon
  • Facebook
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Also we should get this moved to the kayak sailing section
2011 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2013 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place

2011 Hobie Outback     
2013 Hobie Revo 13     
2014 Hobie Adventure Island

Shin09

• Salmon
bringing the topic back, does anyone have the 180 drive on their Island? Wish you had it? Have it dont use it?

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
bringing the topic back, does anyone have the 180 drive on their Island? Wish you had it? Have it dont use it?

I have the 180 on my 2017 TI. Until I had it i thought it was an unnecessary gimmick. Never felt a need for it on my Outback. But the TI with tramps on or off has a lot of windage so it comes in very handy to maintain station if you are fishing docks etc. Especially if there are two of you and one gets a decent fish on, I makes for a lot more maneuverability. I love it.