Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:21:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Intro, new to kayak fishing, seattle based  (Read 2013 times)

bartaba

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Sep 2021
Hi all,
Thanks for being added to that group.
I'm new to kayak fishing, built a stitch and glue kayak last winter and started fishing with it this summer.
Just finished adding a fishfinder and a rod rack to it, looking to improve my skills.
Bartaba

bartaba

• Plankton
Couple pictures of my build.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Welcome - and that boat's a beauty!
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

skayaker2

• Rockfish
  • Since 2010. Formerly known as "skayaker"
  • TAFKAS (The Angler Formerly Known As Skayaker)
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Hello Bartaba,
Welcome to NWKA! Beautiful build, nice clean lines! Did you build it from a kit or plans? I have built several stich and glue wood kayaks, mainly CLC Chesapeake 16s and some Pigmy Cohos. I am also based in Seattle. There are loads of information on NWKA, people on the water tend to be quite friendly too. What kind of fishing have you done or are looking to do in the future?
Cheers!

bartaba

• Plankton
Thanks @skayaker2. I built it from a wood duck double CLC kit. Pretty straightforward and fun.
My goal was to build a boat versatile enough that I could use it both for paddling on lakes with my daughters and to use it alone to go fishing. With the addition of the removable front console and rod rack, it suits my needs for fishing.
As you mentioned, all the people I've met on the water have been super friendly, looks like a nice community.
I've been successful with pinks in August at various places on the Puget sound (MA9 and MA10), done some crabbing too.
I gave a try to coho but been skunked so far, the fact being that I hate trolling, so tried jigging and it may not be the easiest way...
I definitely plan to give a try to blackmouth in January, all the more since jigging seems a good option for those.
Lingcod when it will open is also super appealing...
I've mostly been fly fishing for trouts in rivers before, so all of that is new to me and every session on the water is an opportunity to learn, and so far I love it !

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
I gave a try to coho but been skunked so far, the fact being that I hate trolling, so tried jigging and it may not be the easiest way...

Trolling for coho can be a real slog.

I saw a fishing enthusiast in a pretty wooden boat yesterday off of Meadow Point - was that you? My only luck jigging coho has been when I'm on top of baitballs. I've found it's easiest to drop on deep baitballs w/ heavier jigs -- by the time lighter jigs get to depth the bait is usually gone. If I'm consistently targeting bait deeper than 100' I usually have a 4.75oz PWD rigged up. You can also thumb your reel when freespooling to keep the jig from fluttering on the drop, done right that'll help it get down quicker.

bartaba

• Plankton
Yes, 7am - 10am, that was probably me.
Thanks for the advice, will give it a try.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Beautiful build Bartaba! 
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

anything