Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:45:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[Today at 10:57:58 AM]

[Today at 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Probably done with Kokatat  (Read 5058 times)

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Sent my Goretex semi dry supernova angler suit which I got new from Kokatat in January 2018.  Trask tells me it’s too worn to repair and not covered by their warranty.  It was in for a wrist gasket repair and pressure test.  All they could do was mail it back to me.  These suits are now about 1k new retail price so not sure I can continue buying from Kokatat even though I like the suits.  IMO a dry suit needs to last longer than 3.5 seasons.  I’ve always sung Kokatat’s praises before regarding warranty but this changes things for me.  The suit in question was well used for these last few years with some fading on the shoulders, stains from fish etc, but it was always rinsed and laundered per mfg reccs.  I just wanted it repaired and tested and they would not even do that.

So, let me know what other dry or semi dry brands have treated you right? 
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
This is a bit disheartening to hear. I am/was planning to send in my suit for a few pinhole leak repairs as well as a wrist gasket repair/replacement, my suit sounds similar to yours with normal wear and tear from fishing in the PNW but wouldn't call it abused in any case. Seems a bit odd that they wouldn't do the wrist gasket repair at a minimum but I don't know what the status quo is there now.

As for other brands I know of several people with NRS suits that have been happy with them, can't speak to the repair/warranty process for them though.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
I got my NRS used, on ebay for $200.It looked like new when I got it. I've been a bit rough on it for over a year now, but it is holding up great, seals still perfect. No idea what their customer service is like. Prior to that, I had bought another suit on ebay used, I forget the brand, but it was $150, and also like new, it did not have a relief zipper tho, and I quickly realized that is a feature I cannot do without.
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Sent my Goretex semi dry supernova angler suit which I got new from Kokatat in January 2018.  Trask tells me it’s too worn to repair and not covered by their warranty.  It was in for a wrist gasket repair and pressure test. 

Given their reputation I'm left wondering if there's more to the story? Did this Trask cat give any details?

onefish

• Lingcod
Kokatat is being pretty vague when I ask for details; they just keep asking if I want them to mail back the suit to me.  All they’ve said is that it’s too worn for repair and not covered.   They also referenced the faded shoulders and fish stains but that is par for the course.  Basically they are saying you got your money’s worth because you used it a bunch - we won’t be liable for this suit and will not repair it.   The suit was in for gasket/pressure in 2019 and sent back patched up ready to go.

I’m not trashing Kokatat, but just like other companies (lamiglas comes to mind) their warranty may not be all that you think it is.  Most warranty replacements have been because of delam on certain materials I believe.  I seem to remember another member a few years back being in the same boat I am in now.  Used but not abused and beyond its useful life for whatever reason per Kokatat.  I’m going to fix the wrist gasket myself when I get it back and use it as my backup. 

For me, I just will not plunk down a grand for a suit that will not last very long.  I fish the salt  in the neighborhood of 40-50 days per year, and I will buy a reasonably priced suit that will get me at least 3-5 yrs. and replace it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 11:56:46 AM by onefish »

onefish

• Lingcod
Btw, thanks for the recommendations!

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I’ve seen some friends using Level 6 suits that look solid. Don’t know much about the products or service but I’ll be looking at those suits in the spring. Think they had the Emperor model.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I don't understand why Kokatat won't fix things that they deem worn out. Like, give me something to sign that I understand this isn't a warranty repair or whatever, I don't care, just do it. I had a similar experience a while back on a suit that works perfectly well, so I just did the work myself and it's still in service. That's an OK option but I'd rather pay someone else to do it if they were willing.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Interesting.

I called Kokatat this morning just to ask what was going on with everything out of stock everywhere, as well as there own website.

Turns out they have a lot of their fabric supply stuck in a port in LA due to this Covid supply delay issue going around. They are doing their best at filling current back orders and some retail shop orders with material they do have on hand. He didn't see a light at the end of the tunnel until at least January 2022.

I did an inverted suit water leak test on the legs this morning on mine as the last few times I used it in 2019, my lower legs would be pretty damp, but nothing higher was wet.
Turns out both thighs are riddled with weepers.  Like 20-30 on each thigh.

Kind of wondering where I would stand if I send it in for a pressure test, repair? 

Also called around for available neck and wrist gaskets with less than ideal results.

Luckily Amazon has NRS and Kokatat gaskets.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

onefish

• Lingcod
Yeah I feel this time around I’ve fallen victim to the supply chain issue.  But I did prepay for the gasket and pressure test so it’s kind of frustrating that they won’t do anything, including just sending me a gasket!  Here’s the final email i received yesterday….

I wish I could replace the suit for you but it is the overall condition, age really is not a factor.  I think if you replace the gaskets you can still use it.  Water will get in but most likely really slowly.  You probably don’t want to be floating around in the water for 30 minutes.  I’ll get it in the mail for you.  I’d send some gaskets with it but there is another latex shortage and I don’t have any to send.

Sincerely,

Trask

Cackalacky

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020
That's a bummer. I was just thinking about sending mine off too (supernova hydrus angler semi-dry). The right foot is covered in weeping patches. Mine had worn through after one season of admittedly heavy use. I did a quick fix with some UV cure aquaseal, but its leaking again. Anyone tried to glue new fabric over lots of weeping spots?

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Anyone tried to glue new fabric over lots of weeping spots?

No, but I did glue fabric over a tear and it's working great.

Shameless plug for my video detailing this repair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViUlZVeizDA&ab_channel=CaptainRedbeard%27sAdventures

Cackalacky

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020
Shameless plug for my video detailing this repair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViUlZVeizDA&ab_channel=CaptainRedbeard%27sAdventures

Perfect thanks! I'll check it out

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I've owned a bunch of Kokatat drysuits, and have found the company to be good about warranty replacements and repairs. But I can understand why it may decline to repair a drysuit which has been heavily used by a kayak angler.  Fishing can dirty and damage a drysuit way worse than whitewater rafting and kayaking does.  For example, at a recent ORC, I was filleting some fish in the fish house at Depoe Bay, wearing a rubber apron to protect my clothing, and a kayaker came in and processed a big pile of fish while wearing a Kokatat drysuit.  The orange drysuit was almost black with a heavy layer of fish slime and goobers! I wish I had taken a picture of the drysuit, because it was spectacularly dirty. You may know who that kayak angler is. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 05:55:30 PM by pmmpete »

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
As the owner of a several year old Kokatat semi-dry suit this is a bit concerning.
It's been back to the K folks twice for patching and I was contemplating sending it in this winter.
Now I just may buy an industrial sized tube of aquaseal and call it good.
Not me at Depoe with the dirty suit.
I don't catch that many fish. ;)