Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:08:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: CoosBay Salmon Sept.22 with Pepper  (Read 1521 times)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
"Old guy takes his old dog for a kayak ride, good things happen".

CoosBay is currently open for all salmon with a restriction of 1 wild chinook for the season and 1 wild coho/day, max of 3 for the season (ends Oct.15) and any tagged wild coho count against our lake wild coho max of 5/year. Plus it gets 2m clipped chinook/year. So with a soft high tide near noon at the bridges, made for an easy day- launch by DQ (Charleston), work upstream to RR/North Bend bridges at high (maybe even jig a couple of pilings for a lingcod), then troll back to launch by 2pm.

With Pepper on the back, I carried 3 fall salmon rods- 360flasher/spinner or Brads, roatating flasher + anchovy with rotating helmet, I run 8oz cannoball with either rigging, and just for fun, spinning rod with a legendary (at least in Florence) Siltcoos spinner from NorthCountryLures&Flies- Pink bell hoochie. I was out Tuesday on a PB and netted a fat 15# 'white' coho for my friend (separate post/video on that soon), we saw lots of fish caught and lots of jumping coho. Thus the spinning rod, I target and catch jumping (uncomfortable) coho at the lakes each year. 

2 hours in, no action but I had seen 2 fish caught (they ended up being the only fish I saw caught). Then a coho jump, then a second from the same fish, turn around with about 8 PB in the general area, toss that spinner back 30', rod into the cross holder, tick tick on the tip of the rod from the blade turning, and as I cross the area that rod buries. Several good runs, 3 massive acrobatics, and a surface power run, and the whole time I am loving my change to 3-0 single Owner hooks on my spinners and plugs. I could enjoy the battle because I had him. And then his last rolling acrobatics, right off the bow of the kayak, wrap the leader all around his body. Bad things can happen so I deploy the net fast and drop him in and he goes crazy, giving Pepper a bit of spray.

got all the good stuff of the fight on the GoPro, 'Fish On' is at 1m30s

really fat fall coho, the fillets I got totaled 5 pounds from just a 26" fish! coho belly poke and some dill/lemon lox are in my future.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 10:38:00 AM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

SD2OR

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
A day without fishing probably wouldn't kill me,
but why risk it?

3rd Place AOTY 2023

3rd Place ORC 2023

1st Place Team Event BCS 2023
12th Place Individual BCS 2023

2nd Place AOTY 2022
1st Place Tiny Fish Slam 2022

2007 Red Hobie Outback "Serenity"
2021 Camo Hobie Outback "Lagertha"

tjpeck

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2021
You are one of my heroes. Excellent report.
 :o

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Update- bellies and a collar are dry ice deep freezing now and I'm starting the gravlax cure on this pound of fillet.

this coho really hit the spot because the ocean stone cold skunked me this year. I made 4 ocean salmon outings including going way offshore of Sunset Bay and Depot Bay and each time this year, where I was, the salmon were somewhere else. (Did have a cool salmon shark encounter out of Depot Bay, curious if anyone else might have out there?).

also, Go Cougs!   ;D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 10:44:36 AM by rogerdodger »

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Update- bellies and a collar are dry ice deep freezing now and I'm starting the gravlax cure on this pound of fillet.

Nice fish!

Why go to the effort of sushi-grading the tummies & collar if you're gonna roll the dice with that fillet?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 09:18:32 PM by bogueYaker »

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger

Nice fish!

Why go to the effort of sushi-grading the tummies & collar if you're gonna roll the dice with that fillet?

unless I am mistaken, the gravlax 48 hour salt/sugar/dill/lemon zest cure makes it safe to eat. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019

Nice fish!

unless I am mistaken, the gravlax 48 hour salt/sugar/dill/lemon zest cure makes it safe to eat. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just a heads up, most everything I've read on the internet suggests otherwise. From an FDA publication (https://www.fda.gov/media/80777/download):

Brining and pickling may reduce the parasite hazard in a fish, but they do not eliminate it, nor do they minimize it to an acceptable level. Nematode larvae have been shown to survive 28 days in an 80° salinometer brine (21% salt by weight).

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger

Nice fish!

Just a heads up, most everything I've read on the internet suggests otherwise. From an FDA publication (https://www.fda.gov/media/80777/download):

Brining and pickling may reduce the parasite hazard in a fish, but they do not eliminate it, nor do they minimize it to an acceptable level. Nematode larvae have been shown to survive 28 days in an 80° salinometer brine (21% salt by weight).

that is excellent info, I saw something, can't locate it now, from either CDC or FDA about the Lox or Gravlax process being enough but now I'm thinking it might also have had some fine print about starting with fillet that had already been made safe by freezing.  thanks!

BentRod

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I use the FDA freezing guidelines per that document.  I found my deep freeze chest freezer on max is well below -4 and I will freeze the salmon and keep it there for over two weeks (7 days is recommended) before use.  I use it to make Lox, Poke, an Sushi.  Been doing this for a couple years now and so far so good.

Do not trust a frost free freezer to accomplish the necessary limits.   

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
"Old guy takes his old dog for a kayak ride, good things happen".

I hope you were half as happy with the trip as Pepper (obviously) was.  Nice fish.  Nicer dog!
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...