Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 08:23:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[Today at 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Tillamook Head Story  (Read 5181 times)

Ferndale Solar

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Hi Guys,
I have been working my tail off getting our house ready to sell, so I haven't been fishing, but I do have a current story.

My friend Bob Rogers rode by on his bike the other day and stopped to say hi. He said he had recently been out fishing in the ocean off of Tillamook Head which is at Seaside Oregon. He and Rod another kayak angler, drug their kayaks over the rough and slimy rocks and took off for first point and second point. Bob said he had been fishing a day or two earlier and had not had much luck but this day the Ling Cod were on fire. He said he caught about 20 to 25 lings that day. He kept a limit and paddled over to where Rod was fishing to see how he was doing.

Rod said he had caught the largest Ling Cod of his life. The estimate was somewhere in the range of 25 pounds. He managed to get it up onto his kayak which is an Ocean Kayak Prowler I think. They both had been fishing with lead head jigs, bouncing them up and down off of the tops of the rocks. Rod had another hook tied onto his line above the jig a foot or so and while he was trying to subdue that huge Ling Cod that upper hook got caught in his leg. Because of being stabbed by the hook he lost the Ling Cod.

I can imagine how that must have felt. Ouch!

Well, thats it for now. I'll talk to you soon.
Cheers,
David
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, ... but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!'"

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Nice!  David, you have to hook me up wih your buddies so they can show me the ropes down there when I come to visit.

So when the hook went into his leg, what did he do?  Other than scream!  It hurts just thinking about it.

-Allen

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I did that same thing once with a big rattle trap on Mission bay, I hooked what was either  a big corbina or a small sea bass (I think corbina) brought it aboard that yak and it started to flep on me driving the hook in my leg. I un hooked the fish and watched my self bleed for a little bit until I relized what happened and paddle back to shore to cry to mama.
We may live without poetry, music, and art
We may live without conscience and live without heart
We may live without friends, we may live without books;
But civilized man cannot live without cooks

Ferndale Solar

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I will try to do that Allen. Just let me know when you will be coming and I will ask Bob about it. I am sure he would like to tell you some details about fishing here. I will find out what Rod did about the hook in his leg. I can't remember what Bob said he did.
Cheers,
David
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, ... but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!'"

anything