Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:36:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: 2020 moutcha bay kayak derby  (Read 1964 times)

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Anybody planning on going to this derby? I just paid for 3 night’s camping at Nootka Sound Resort, lookin forward to it. Labor Day weekend...
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

DBam

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Was actually just looking into it the other day. Never been so I'm definitely interested.

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
Campsites go fairly quickly, I paid for 5 nights for about $300. YOu need to make a 90% deposit when you reserve. Yurts are $$----about $400/nite, but they are roomy (sleep 6) and pretty  and right on the water. Cabins and lodge rooms pricey, too.   LOTS of fish most years, the Conuma River hatchery puts out 3.5 million chinook smolts annually. At the end of August, the fish have been in the estuary long enough to start turning from the bright ocean phase. They still  bite, though.. Jigging is popular, with Buzz Bombs or the new "flat-fall" jigs.  Usual winner is about 22-28#. There are occasional tyees, but the average nookie caught in the bay is probably 15-18#.
Salmon are getting smaller on the WCVI, like everywhere else.
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
Just got an email from Kira, they still have a few campsites left on Derby Weekend (Aug 28-30. Here's a link to last year's derby:, be sure to see the guy in the hammerhead shark costume getting a finny ride!!  Food at the lodge is top-notch.

Not combat fishing, but not solitude, either!!  People are pretty considerate, you can always find a helping hand if netting gets difficult.  And they will move out of the way of your sleigh-ride!!

8 of the first 10 fish on Day 2  were caught on the new UV Flash Bomb, by Buzzbomb.

DBam

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Here's what I got about this derby, and it's from talking to people, staff and participants, over the past 4-5 years. Sometimes the fish aren't there. Some years the fish have already moved upriver by Labor Day. I think it was 2016 where only 1 or 2 fish total were caught during the derby. Some years there are fish, but like you said, they're dark. They just change really quick in that system. It's also $60 a night or whatever just to camp.

This past weekend I happened to see your recent posts on sportfishbc, at least I think that was you. It's a long trek to the outside (lighthouse or beyond). I'd say fishing outside is more of a June/July/early August thing. By end of August guys are fishing the inside, and by mid September a lot of the businesses have shut down. By the way, if you're not sure of any distances, just get Google Earth on a desktop computer and use the draw paths feature to get distance measurements. It's a very handy tool. And yeah, I've done that trek out and back in my Revo 13, it's a little bit of work. If you have any questions feel free, though I can't promise to have answers. I put on 100 kms (60 miles), ripped drysuit, and no fish. Had to watch extra carefully making my way back not to huli by myself with a torn drysuit. Being well inside and fishing in the derby boundary out in front of the camp is the way to do it.

I doubt I'll do that derby. I'm not a derby guy, not yet at least. I do hope you have a great time and have some good news to share with us after LD weekend.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Campsites go fairly quickly, I paid for 5 nights for about $300. YOu need to make a 90% deposit when you reserve. Yurts are $$----about $400/nite, but they are roomy (sleep 6) and pretty  and right on the water. Cabins and lodge rooms pricey, too.

Those are some brutal prices for camping but it does look beautiful up there. Thanks for making me more aware of this tourney. I can't go this year but it would be a fun one to try another year.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Canadian $ is worth  75 cents now if that helps.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Canadian $ is worth  75 cents now if that helps.

Oh yeah, that's a good point. I bought a couple things from Australia a couple weeks back and completely forgot the exchange rate factor. Guess I'm not much of a world citizen.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
There's always Oanda.com for conversion rates
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

anything