Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 06:04:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:50:07 AM]

[Today at 07:06:28 AM]

[Today at 06:37:37 AM]

[Today at 06:35:15 AM]

[Today at 06:33:32 AM]

[Today at 06:29:12 AM]

[May 22, 2024, 03:13:08 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 04:51:49 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 01:07:12 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Safety  (Read 8586 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I'll admit I'd never thought of carrying a bilge pump on a SOT since they're self-bailing until someone pointed out the blown hatch cover issue to me last summer. Since then I've added it to the list of safety gear I always carry. Pole, I like your idea of strapping to the hatch cover so it's always right where I need it.

To be clear ... I clip it to the INSIDE of the hatch cover, where it's out of the way.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Jason - question for you on BCU. Do you need to start at 1-star and move up, or can you test in at 2-star, 3-star, etc? I haven't had any experience with bcu, but have had it recommended a few times.

I don't suppose you can do the BCU progression on a SOT?

-Allen

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007

To be clear ... I clip it to the INSIDE of the hatch cover, where it's out of the way.

-Allen

yup, that's how I read it.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I followed the links to the BCUNA site and came across a few syllabus pdfs.

Here's the 1-star syllabus..
http://www.bcuna.com/PDF-Files/Syllabus/1-2_Star/1_Star_Syllabus.pdf
and here's the 2-star syllabus..
http://www.bcuna.com/PDF-Files/Syllabus/1-2_Star/2_Star_Syllabus.pdf

Looks like you can skip levels and you can get this cert in any canoe or kayak style.  

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Pool Noodle!

I'm certainly not discouraging anybody from carrying a bilge pump, but Pool Noodles work great! I carry and occasionally use the pump the I "won" at the Everett bay tournament (Allen had some swag that he was giving out as "lovely parting gifts"), but I have SUNK an SOT kayak more that once (same boat*). In fact, that boat still takes on water and is a MASSIVE pain to take out of the water, but it paddle's "adequately" swamped. Its filled with pool noodles.

I thought of filling the boat with two-part urethane but why bother when you can fill it with pool noodles for about $30-$40  (when they are on sale). They do wreck the storage capacity of your hull, but that hull (Heritage Pro Fisherman 14) does not have much volume anyway.  I left a few area's open for some limited storage, but that was a small trade for the safety of unsinkability (wasn't the Titanic unsinkable?). You can also pull them to air out the hull annually. Can't do that with urethane and I think it might have added at most 5lbs to the boat.

I have not filled the hobie with noodles yet, but if it keeps taking on water like it has been lately, I think I will. Again, the only downside is that it eats up storage space.

For training I took a white water class when I moved up to the great pacific northwest, but a swift water rescue class looks like a better fit for river work (play). The BCU training looks like a really good idea as well.

*One hole too many below the waterline
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 01:38:07 PM by Fishesfromtupperware »
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I would rather risk swamping than lose the space inside my hull.  I don't know about you guys but that is one of the perks of the SOT.  I have mine set up so everything goes below deck going in and out though the surf. I keep extra gear in sealed dry bags that I figure add quite a bit of extra floatation.

I must admit I have never completely filled my fish and dive and been in the water with it.  It is now on the list of things to try.  Completely swamp her then attempt to "dry it out" and reboard while in water.  Will make sure to tie a safety line to shore, just incase things go south.  Next time I am at the coast I will try it out in a protected part of the bay.

kykfshr

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Make a frame with pool noodles and zip ties. extra floatation while keeping the storage areas open.  Also check your drain plugs, I was surprised how loose mine was. its not loose now because it is epoxied shut.

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I think I might just add that to yak. Beside I already have one in the shop somewhere.  But... if its mounted to the hatch and you lose your hatch overboard (mine don't float) in a incident, wouldn't the pump go with it?

this is the reason I have my hatch attached to the inside of the Yak with a strong fine cord. A plastic nut and bolt hold the line on the hatch cover, and the other end is tied around the scupper.
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
“We should come home from adventures, and perils, and discoveries every day with new experience and character”

-Henry David Thoreau

“To die will be an awfully big adventure.”

-Aristotle

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Hold my beer and watch this!

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
As long as we are on the topic of safety, watch out for these:

jself

I'll admit I'd never thought of carrying a bilge pump on a SOT since they're self-bailing until someone pointed out the blown hatch cover issue to me last summer. Since then I've added it to the list of safety gear I always carry. Pole, I like your idea of strapping to the hatch cover so it's always right where I need it.

Jason - question for you on BCU. Do you need to start at 1-star and move up, or can you test in at 2-star, 3-star, etc? I haven't had any experience with bcu, but have had it recommended a few times.

Brian

Most SOT's....especially the prowler with the rod pod etc. need to be retrofitted with float bags. The first time I put mine in the water and edged it, water gushed into the rod pod. there are no bulkheads! If you blew a hatch it would sink. I think bilge pumps and paddle floats should be on the deck of every kayak that touches the water....even a SOT or if you can roll....allong with a whistle and safety light.

You don't have to start at the 1 star. I started at 3. They have recently updated the syllabi's for the star assessment program. i would check out the prerequisites for whatever level you want to shoot for at http:\\www.bcuna.com

Just know that they're Brits, so they are rather particular. When I did the 3 star, a guy in my assessment group was in buying and asking how to use a tow rig the day before. He bailed in the first hour of the assessment because he was in over his head.

I would recommend doing the training class for whatever level before taking the assessment.

jself

My main concern is if I were to somehow swamp my boat filling it with water and leaving me unable to paddle to safety.

What, no bilge pump?  Hand pumps are relatively cheap.  Mount them on the underside of your front hatch with pipe clips.

-Allen

Not to be a safety nerd here, but technically your bilge should be stored on the deck. If you have to open a hatch to get a bilge to pump out water stemming from a whipe out caused by big waves, when you open your hatch to get a paddle float or bilge pump, more water will come in.

I realize you have to open a hatch to bilge a SOT, but I think if it's on deck, you wouldn't have to completely remove the hatch to get to the bilge....and, some SOT's have the little day hatch thingy between your legs that is ideal for pumping water out and not taking more in.

I'm working on trading my Prowler for a scupper pro because i'm affraid i'll sink going through surf with the rod pod. I've also considered retrofitting the hatches/rod pod to make them actually seal. All said I think the scupper is a better boat for me personally.

jself

I don't suppose you can do the BCU progression on a SOT?

-Allen

You could as long as it is "a craft suitable for the conditions of the assessment." It would be difficult unless you were comfortable edging, rolling, bracing, towing etc. It's doable for the 1 and 2 star, (flat water) but I wouldn't suggest it for the 3 star or higher. You can't use a rudder or skeg etc.

Also, with some of the local assessors, you are likely to get into conditions bigger than remit for the assessment. The three star is supposed to be seas up to one meter and winds up to 15 mph, but we did it in seas to 5 ft and winds to 25. I wouldn't have passed in the Prowler.

jself

Here is a link to a post I did about safety. I feel it's fairly comprehensive, and if anything gives a good list of gear.

http://kayakangler.blogspot.com/2008/10/kayaking-safety-safety-gear.html

-Jason