Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:23:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Garmin fishfinders?  (Read 2343 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'm asking for my grandkid's "significant" other (he's not so significant in my book).

He's looking for user experiences with Garmin fishfinders, both the Stryker and the Echomap series.  I know nothing about them except what I can read on the Garmin website.

If you own or owned one, would you mind letting me know what you think (thought) of them, please?  I don't want to be less knowledgeable than that guy.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 02:51:54 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I have the Garmin Striker 4 plus and the Striker 7 SV plus.  I really like them both. They are very easy to use and easy to change settings.  I had a Lowrance prior and the Garmin is way easier.  The striker does not have built in mapping, but you can build mapping as you go.  I wouldn’t hesitate to buy Garmin again.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I have the Garmin Echomap uhd 73sv and I really like it a lot, the mapping that is included is basic for offshore (really only good for general direction but good for knowing how to get back if fog.) But for lakes and rivers it's phenomenal. I believe there's a different model with coastal maps (CV instead of SV I believe) if that's more your thing. The battery draw is reasonably good, I have gone three full days of fishing on my 20ah lithium battery and could've possibly gone more but didn't want to push it. The downscan is as good or better than the Raymarine I had previously, and the sidescan is helpful although I am not entirely sure how it works just yet. Overall really happy with it for the price.

Any general questions you or they have on them?
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
I run Garmin Echomaps (both 73 and 93 sv units) and I have found them quite reliable.  The 93 I use in my Lund linked with one of the 73's from my kayak.  Wouldn't go larger than a 73 in a yak.   
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I really like my Echomap cv73.  One really nice feature is the ability to create very detailed maps of areas I fish a lot.  Bay maps tend to be either unusable or unreliable but after a couple of passes recording depths, it's game on for the rest of that season.  In the ocean, it allows me to map out specific features on a reef that hold bottom fish.  To boot, the price is pretty darn good for the features.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Another vote for the Echomap 7.  Going on 5 years without a hiccup.  Quickdraw is a game changer if you've never had it.  I would never buy a unit without it.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Good stuff.  I always appreciate when folks will take a moment out of their day to educate me, and thanks to you all.

A couple of follow-up questions.

Nobaddays - do the Stryker models include the Quickdraw feature?

Spot - I thought I read somewhere your comment that it wouldn't hurt if the cable connectors to the head unit were beefed-up a bit.  Are they just less substantial than they could be or is there an issue with them.

(I have an issue with the plug-like things on the cables of my Humminbird unit - they look like the weakest link in the system, but they work).

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Good stuff.  I always appreciate when folks will take a moment out of their day to educate me, and thanks to you all.

A couple of follow-up questions.

Nobaddays - do the Stryker models include the Quickdraw feature?

Spot - I thought I read somewhere your comment that it wouldn't hurt if the cable connectors to the head unit were beefed-up a bit.  Are they just less substantial than they could be or is there an issue with them.

(I have an issue with the plug-like things on the cables of my Humminbird unit - they look like the weakest link in the system, but they work).

Yes, they all have the quick draw feature.

They do have a simple plug-in cable.  Seem like it is a weak link, but I haven’t had any issue.   I’m 3-4 years with mine with lots of trips in the saltwater.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thank you, James.

Larry_MayII_HR

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I'll also say that I really like my Striker 4 plus. The quickdraw contour maps are awesome for fishing over reefs in current and also for repeatedly finding structure while lake fishing. Great battery life and I also really came to appreciate the auto-dim setting for the display in low-light.  I was using my older Lowrance this weekend which did not have the auto-dim feature and it was so bright I couldn't use it in the early morning.

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
i just started using my 64cv and so far i like it much more than the lowrance hdi unit that i had. great unit!

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

My 63 had crappy friction fit connectors.  I upgraded to the 73 this year, partially because the connectors are much more robust and include both a seal and a threaded fastening ring. 

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

BigFishy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
Garmin Echomap UHD 73 user here. Second season and going strong. One suggestion for a new buyer. Apply a thin layer of dielectric grease on the back of the unit around multipin connector. Then attach the backplate and never take it off (or re-apply if taking off) I got that connector wet with salt water and did not wipe it for few days so it started corroding. I cleaned it and use dielectric grease since, which acts like a seal. Very happy with this unit; I've fished multiple days in July out of PC in dense fog completely relying on it.
2021 Hobie Outback

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
My 63 had crappy friction fit connectors.  I upgraded to the 73 this year, partially because the connectors are much more robust and include both a seal and a threaded fastening ring. 

-Mark-

There we go!  That's something I can't read about or see in the pictures on the Garmin website.  Good to know.  Thanks.

...I also really came to appreciate the auto-dim setting for the display in low-light.  I was using my older Lowrance this weekend which did not have the auto-dim feature and it was so bright I couldn't use it in the early morning.

I would never have thought about that feature.  I don't think it's in the online material, either.  Thank you!

Another vote for the Echomap 7.  Going on 5 years without a hiccup.  Quickdraw is a game changer if you've never had it.  I would never buy a unit without it.

I've mentioned Quickdraw, but I think I need to drive the nail deeper.  It is a valuable feature and he shouldn't ignore it.

i just started using my 64cv and so far i like it much more than the lowrance hdi unit that i had. great unit!

Thanks, I don't know if he's even considering the 6-series, but I'll let him know they, too, are good units.  This morning I noticed the 5-series screens are just a bit larger than 4-inches, so if he really wants a screen measuring somewhere around 5-inches, he needs to look at the 6's.

Garmin Echomap UHD 73 user here. ... Very happy with this unit; I've fished multiple days in July out of PC in dense fog completely relying on it.

I wouldn't trust my Helix if I were completely socked-in.  Ninety-nine percent of the time it shows I'm on land when I'm still in the water.  This is great!  Thanks!

Oh no!  You guys are really good with testimonials.  Now I'm looking at my little Helix 5 and wondering why I didn't get a Garmin - and I'm not sure if I should thank you for that.  :).  Okay, thank you.  I appreciate all of you, even if I'm getting finder-envy.

BigFishy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020
Regarding screen brightness on UHD 73 series. If you quickly press on/off button it will cycle through different levels of screen brightness. You have the option to change percentage of brightness manually. During dark hours the screen inverts which I am not a big fan of but that can be changed in settings.
Also when I get back from the trip I usually hose the fishfinder, shake off the water and let it dry out. The power and transducer connectors also get a freshwater shower as it is impossible to keep them dry in the ocean.
2021 Hobie Outback