Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:25:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: MSW absorbed by Surfline  (Read 1258 times)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Initially, I had mixed feelings about this change- the Surfline swell forecast graph is nice, it shows all the swells and the size of the arrowhead is the swell period, very helpful.  But the free period dropped to only 5 days and "Premium" that gets you 16 days cost $99/year.

They also offer a "Forecast" only membership for $40/year that gets you the 16 day forecast but leaves off a bunch of extra junk that I certainly didn't need.  They don't make the "Forecast" membership easy to find, I hit the button for Free Trial which shows "Premium" but by scrolling down you can find the other membership options.

cheers, roger

« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 07:41:07 AM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Surfline sucks.  MSW presented all the information I needed on one page without hooplah.  And it allowed me to easily compare conditions between days to see if one day might be better than the next.  Yeah, their page has most of the same info for five days just not in a format that I find simple to use.  I guess I will adjust.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 09:52:57 AM by alpalmer »
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Been so accustomed to MSW's format, that it'll take a minute for me to acclimate to Surfline. Of the forecast sites I typically use, MSW was always the most "optimistic" of the bunch, whereas the other forecast sites would often bring a sometimes rosy MSW forecast back down to earth.

I wonder if Surfline's forecasts are optimistic similar to MSW. I'll cross-check them with the other forecast sites through the year to find out.
aMayesing Bros.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
my complaint with MSW was that they did not always display the largest swell on the left side as the primary swell.  they also did not display any sort of 'total swell'.  you really needed to pay attention to all of the individual swells on MSW, there were times the primary was like 3' but moving over to the secondary, it could be 6' and maybe a third swell of several feet.   

the Surfline graph shows you all the various swells which makes it easy to quickly assess whether the day is even close to a 'go'.  plus the graph shows the swells, over several days, as they build and fade...

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
What are you guys talking about? I went to Magic Seaweed just now and it looks just like it's always looked. Are they getting bought out or something?

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
What are you guys talking about? I went to Magic Seaweed just now and it looks just like it's always looked. Are they getting bought out or something?

After May 15,  MSW will be no more.  Surfline is "absorbing" them.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Ah, I see. Thanks.

moistfish

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jun 2021
I made the switch over to Windy a few years ago and never looked back. It makes it really easy to compare the different forecast models and there's a ton of extra information in there as well. It's definitely worth a look!
Hobie Kayak Fishing Team
Next Adventure Kayak Fishing Team

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I made the switch over to Windy a few years ago and never looked back. It makes it really easy to compare the different forecast models and there's a ton of extra information in there as well. It's definitely worth a look!

Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize that windy had swell and wave data. It will take me a while to reacclimate to a new visual but it looks like the information is there.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
From wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfline

With the prices you guys quoted I suspect Surfline may have been quietly bought by the same company that bought Washington Fly Fishing
Com and more recently,  IFish.
This is one of the trio I use when going surf fishing on the coast https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/map/index.html?type=TidePredictions&region=

« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 02:28:47 PM by [WR] »
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
this is what I like about the Surfline graphic, tomorrow good sized primary swell, easing down through Wednesday and into Thursday then increasing swell on Friday. 

rewind to Thursday, nice...  lol   

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
here is Surf-Forecast.com with what I consider a poor graphic of the various swells and their periods but with a twist- that 'Energy' value at the bottom can be really helpful as a quick reality check of the combined wave energy from the swells.  When it drops down below about...holy crap, look at Thursday, are you serious?...I was going to say like 'below 100 is super smooth' but wow.   lol

« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 12:13:18 PM by rogerdodger »