Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:45:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[Today at 05:39:20 PM]

[Today at 08:40:31 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Kayak Repair Question - SOLVED  (Read 1222 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
The kids are coming down soon, bringing a kayak with them to see if we - meaning me, I reckon - can fill in some holes left behind when they removed a Scotty mount.  From their description of the mount, it sounds like a Scotty 241 Surface Mount, and I believe the bolts for those are around 3/16-inch in diameter.

Would you recommend using a KC welder to melt the plastic into the holes?  Is there a reliable, less expensive tool - even the non-Hobie version runs $88 - that'll do the job?  Is there a better way to fill-in the holes than by using a welder and HDPE rods?

I expect to only do something like this once...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 04:40:59 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

kredden

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I use the Hobie one now that I work at a dealer but I've used this cheap Harbor Freight one in the past and it did OK for filling holes.

https://www.harborfreight.com/80-watt-iron-plastic-welding-kit-60662.html

Kevin

kaz

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
The kids are coming down soon, bringing a kayak with them to see if we - meaning me, I reckon - can fill in some holes left behind when they removed a Scotty mount.  From their description of the mount, it sounds like a Scotty 241 Surface Mount, and I believe the bolts for those are around 3/16-inch in diameter.

Would you recommend using a KC welder to melt the plastic into the holes?  Is there a reliable, less expensive tool - even the non-Hobie version runs $88 - that'll do the job?  Is there a better way to fill-in the holes than by using a welder and HDPE rods?

I expect to only do something like this once...

I've linked a video of a guy using Swix P-Stiks to repair scratches in his Hobie. He doesn't use a welder; he just ignites the plastic rods and drips the liquified plastic into the scratches.   I've used this method to fill some screw holes in my Necky Dolphin14,  and after several months all is well. I had access to the underside of the holes so I backed the holes with a small square of heavy aluminum foil - held on with masking tape.  Good luck.

*Rods were purchased from Amazon - about $10.   

Cape Falcon F1 (homemade, skin boat)
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thank you, Kevin.  Sure, you guys at dealers get all the good stuff and the rest of we peasants have to settle for the Harbor Freight junk, but if it works, and I only need in once...  Thanks!

- Kevin

I use the Hobie one now that I work at a dealer but I've used this cheap Harbor Freight one in the past and it did OK for filling holes.

https://www.harborfreight.com/80-watt-iron-plastic-welding-kit-60662.html

Kevin

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thank you.  I watched that video this morning and at first, I went "Eureka!" then I followed the link to Amazon and learned the P-Sticks aren't made with HDPE.  I'll check it out again since you've had luck with it.

Hey, since a Dolphin is on my list of kayaks-I'm-looking-for, but they're darned hard to learn about, would you tell me what you think of the one I've sent a link to in the PM I'm about to send?

I've linked a video of a guy using Swix P-Stiks to repair scratches in his Hobie. He doesn't use a welder; he just ignites the plastic rods and drips the liquified plastic into the scratches.   I've used this method to fill some screw holes in my Necky Dolphin14,  and after several months all is well. I had access to the underside of the holes so I backed the holes with a small square of heavy aluminum foil - held on with masking tape.  Good luck.

*Rods were purchased from Amazon - about $10.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I decided to go with plastic welding after I found I have a few scraps of the same color HDPE I saved when working on one of my kayaks.  I thought I'd trashed them, but I'm glad I didn't.

Thanks, everyone.  I appreciate the tips.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Why not just put screws or rivets in the holes with a touch of Goop?  Quick and easy.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Sure, now you chip in.

It's not my kayak - it belongs to a grandkid who wants me to "make it look pretty, again", although with my skills and a plastic welding tool in my hands, it could end up with screws and washers...

I've thought about using nylon screws and cutting the heads off flush then dabbing them with permanent markers.  I have more skill in matching colors than with welding.

Thank you, semi-INSAYN.  You're always a voice of reason and practicality.

Why not just put screws or rivets in the holes with a touch of Goop?  Quick and easy.