Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 12:07:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:52:48 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by jed
[April 29, 2024, 05:39:20 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: The Green Can Thread  (Read 5899 times)

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Busted the idler cable on the mirage drive Saturday morning. In five months I've sheared off the teeth of the sprocket twice and broke the idler cable. I'm overnighing the idler cable from austin kayak it should be here tomorrow. Fortunately Hobies warranty is great and the guys at Gig Harbor Fly Shop have been fantastic. I'm just putting a lot of use on the drive in heavy current. Probably end up buying a new Hobie very two years to stay under warranty, they're fantastic fishing platforms - especially for jigging.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Sorry to hear about the failure. You were definitely right about the kayak being the tool for the job to stay on top of your line while jigging in current. The powerboat guys noticed that I was able to do that a lot more easily than they could out at the can on Friday. I'm hoping to get back out there again ASAP, but this coming weekend in the state championship for one of my rifle competitions. I'm actually considering skipping that to chase salmon at the green can now that I know what to expect and how it all works.  8)

workhard

• Salmon
Sorry to hear about the failure. You were definitely right about the kayak being the tool for the job to stay on top of your line while jigging in current. The powerboat guys noticed that I was able to do that a lot more easily than they could out at the can on Friday. I'm hoping to get back out there again ASAP, but this coming weekend in the state championship for one of my rifle competitions. I'm actually considering skipping that to chase salmon at the green can now that I know what to expect and how it all works.  8)

Yeah, it's a beautiful thing when the wind picks up a bit and you start out-fishing 30 boats on a kayak. Happens when the water column current stratifies at different speeds or directions as well.  In the video on the top of the thread you can see how hard I'm peddling to stay on top of the jig, the wind was forecasted at 11kts that day  >:D.

C.Salp

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
Fished all day through both tide changes today...landed this buck at high slack.
The fish took out a surprising amount of line initially, setting up a nervous moment later in the fight, when he made a beeline almost straight back at me faster than I could pick up the slack.

(A thank-you to workhard for the encouragement to get out there/stay out there, at high slack...I had been shying away from that paddle to/from against the current...as he shared above, it wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be.)

I have a few upcoming days off...look forward to seeing y'all out there over the next week or two.

Chris

workhard

• Salmon
Beautiful fish man!

Trident 13

• Salmon
Great looking fish for sure and some encouragement. I'm hoping to be on the water around 3 PM today and catch the high slack until limited or 5-6 PM :-)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 08:45:01 AM by Trident 13 »

justinjw

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Awesome!! I plan to head out there tomorrow (Friday Aug 24) launching from Luhr Landing.  First time there, so will be interesting.  PM me if anyone wants company.
Hobie Oasis

workhard

• Salmon
Awesome!! I plan to head out there tomorrow (Friday Aug 24) launching from Luhr Landing.  First time there, so will be interesting.  PM me if anyone wants company.

There are kayak guys getting them out there, they're just not posting them. Be careful of a South wind on a flood tide, the wind looks much better on the weekend.

Trident 13

• Salmon
There are kayak guys getting them out there, they're just not posting them.

I want assure everyone I'm doing my part to protect the king salmon only eating killer whales alive.  I did get out Wednesday PM for a bit on the evening high slace but only refined my skill at mouth hooking several nice dog fish on jigs while watching others land some nice fish.  One kayaker (with a fish) left just as the tide line swung back across the delta past the can saying the fishing is over when that happens.  He was several hundred yards toward the landing as a fellow nailed a nice maybe, 10-12 lb.

Fish hard folks:-)

justinjw

• Herring

Was informed by my boss I have work tomorrow. Will be there Saturday.  And if the winds are better that is good too.
Hobie Oasis

justinjw

• Herring
There are kayak guys getting them out there, they're just not posting them.

I want assure everyone I'm doing my part to protect the king salmon only eating killer whales alive.  I did get out Wednesday PM for a bit on the evening high slace but only refined my skill at mouth hooking several nice dog fish on jigs while watching others land some nice fish.  One kayaker (with a fish) left just as the tide line swung back across the delta past the can saying the fishing is over when that happens.  He was several hundred yards toward the landing as a fellow nailed a nice maybe, 10-12 lb.

Fish hard folks:-)

I am with you on this.  I have caught my share of dogs and wonder if there is anything other out there.
Hobie Oasis

workhard

• Salmon
Keep the lure moving and off the bottom to keep the dogs off. As soon as it moves stops moving vertically up and down you're asking for a dog

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Anyone heading out to the green can on Sunday? Low tide is at 12:28 so I'm going to be on the water by 9:30 or so and off the water by about 3:30 or 4:00. That should give me a bit more than two hours before and after low slack and current going my way each direction. Thanks to having been there once and all the advice from workhard, I'm hoping to finally break my curse of not catching a keeper chinook.  ;D

Rockbottom

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Going to try tomorrow morning and hit the low slack.  I'll bring a jigging rig and a fly rod also just in the hopes I can get a fly down there.  I should have an extra beer on board if you see me out there! :)