Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 05:52:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:58:56 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Bottom fishing setup - Rods and Reels  (Read 8333 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I mean absolutely no offense when I say this, but it seems to me that if a person is using enough weight that when they catch a fish they're left just winching in the meat, they're missing 90% of the fun of catching fish.

My fly line plus sink tip weighs about an ounce and a half and I'm casting that mess a hundred or two hundred times a day - which is arguably harder than jigging four ounces.  I'm feeling pretty beat up by the time I reach shore but I've had a lot of fun.

Anyway, no one way is better than any other and I see the point you were making.  I'll bow out of the discussion now.  I fly-fish so I already know I'm the oddball around here.  :D
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I forget to mention, the Harrier will be released in March at $99.99...

Mark

It will be my next rod purchase.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I was going to give my once-yearly recommendation for Cabela's Salt Striker spinning reels, but they aren't available anymore apparently. I'm guessing since the merge they're going to phase in Bass Pro Shop's line of reels - "Offshore Angler". If I'd know I would have picked up a few SS to have on the shelf. Oh well.

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I agree that the vast majority of bottomfish can be caught on Barbie rods and fly gear.  That being said, what happens when you hook a lifetime fish on that gear?  If you can't turn that 40+ inch lingcod or 50+ inch Pac halibut, they're going to snag you up on their first run and you just lost a potential lifetime fish, in a situation that was entirely preventable if you were using the adequate gear.  Some folks might be okay with that, shrug their shoulders and move on with their day.  I'm not one of them.  When I hook a huge fish, I want a reasonable chance of landing it.

You never know when you might hook into a lifetime fish anytime you venture onto the salt.  Back in 2014, I ended up hooking a 150 pound thresher shark in 20 feet of water on a blue-label sized sardine.  I wasn't fishing for sharks, but thankfully, my gear was just beefy enough to land that shark after a 1+ hour battle (it was on the Ugly Stik Tiger and Penn Squall combo I mentioned in my previous post).  If I'd hooked that fish on a Barbie rod or some bargain bin Walmart spinning combo, I don't think I would've been as fortunate.

If landing huge fish isn't a goal, then go ahead and buy the $30 Walmart spinning combo or the Barbie rod or whatever.  Those will catch most of what you're after.  But if you want a good shot at landing that trophy fish, start by using gear that you know can get the job done.
aMayesing Bros.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I agree that the vast majority of bottomfish can be caught on Barbie rods and fly gear.  That being said, what happens when you hook a lifetime fish on that gear?  If you can't turn that 40+ inch lingcod or 50+ inch Pac halibut, they're going to snag you up on their first run and you just lost a potential lifetime fish, in a situation that was entirely preventable if you were using the adequate gear.  Some folks might be okay with that, shrug their shoulders and move on with their day.  I'm not one of them.  When I hook a huge fish, I want a reasonable chance of landing it.

You never know when you might hook into a lifetime fish anytime you venture onto the salt.  Back in 2014, I ended up hooking a 150 pound thresher shark in 20 feet of water on a blue-label sized sardine.  I wasn't fishing for sharks, but thankfully, my gear was just beefy enough to land that shark after a 1+ hour battle (it was on the Ugly Stik Tiger and Penn Squall combo I mentioned in my previous post).  If I'd hooked that fish on a Barbie rod or some bargain bin Walmart spinning combo, I don't think I would've been as fortunate.

If landing huge fish isn't a goal, then go ahead and buy the $30 Walmart spinning combo or the Barbie rod or whatever.  Those will catch most of what you're after.  But if you want a good shot at landing that trophy fish, start by using gear that you know can get the job done.

Enthusiastic +1!

I lost a few good fish before I learned my lesson. I am no proponent of "meat cranes" and I typically fish smaller/lighter lures than a lot of people, but I know I can lift a monster if I have to.

There's also a big difference between fishing in 40FOW in calm conditions versus 100FOW in strong current/wind.

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
I fish for food as well as fun, so I like to get the best balance of cost, durability, effectiveness & quality (in that order). I also agree with the reasoning of Clayman & Matt M. If you're looking for a solid bottom fishing set-up, that's what you should get. You can always have 2 set-ups onboard. You've gotten a lot of good advice on this thread & I'm not trying to sell you on any particular set-up. I've never spent more than $150 on a reel, so can't give much in the way of advice for that.

The Penn Squall is over kill for most rockfish, but I like it a lot for larger lings & cabs. Might work good for halibut also :dontknow: Hope to find out. https://bit.ly/2GRenUo
I don't have one, but the Diawa Lexa looks comparable to the Squall.

For about $60, there's the Penn 209 or 309 reel. Several years ago, I bought a 209 on sale at Bi-Mart for $30. The 309 has about 100' more line capacity. Both reels will provide solid performance for many years. https://bit.ly/2EkemGR

For a relatively inexpensive ($130) & simple (not a lot of gizmos) saltwater spinning reel, the Penn Battle 2 has provided me with solid performance for 3 seasons so far. https://bit.ly/2EmKBW9
Cabela has them on sale sometimes.

The Tiger Elite jig stik (5'8"- 6'6", $80) is as durable as any rod I've used & easily fits inside both my kayaks. I got both at Bi-Mart for $60 each. :icon_rabbit: For the price, it can't be beat, imo. https://bit.ly/2BUZsFFhttps://bit.ly/2GUPWp8
I'd like to try the Daiwa Harrier 6'4" one piece jigging rod. Sounds like they might have better quality eyes. Maybe worth the extra $20.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Clayman, you make a great point that is absolutely valid when it comes to kayak fishing.  Hooking into a lifetime trophy-sized fish and landing it is one of those personal achievements everyone should feel at least once in their life, more if you make it a daily goal. Having tough enough gear to control a big fish and get it to the kayak has its merits and you have proven it with some nice fish.

It does make a difference what your end goal is going to be each day you hit the water as to what you choose to bring with you.  I personally fish for two primary reasons, fill the freezer with tasty meat, and having fun.  In doing so, I tend to challenge myself using probably the stupidest gear possible with no expectations. The Barbie rod is probably the most ridiculous thing on the planet to take in the ocean, but man is it fun and absurdly effective. You jig 6oz all day with it if you like, and never have a worn out arm at the end of the day. 

The flyfisherman guys are another creative bunch using a much different skill to find, fight and boat ocean fish that I have to take my hat off to them. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
One thing I forgot to touch on earlier is whatever reel you choose for the ocean, make sure it can handle the salty environment and be good to go with a good rinse after a day on the water, be simple enough to take apart, clean and put back together several times a season if need be, or cheap enough to just replace when it jams up. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I only go salt water fishing a few times a year so my salt water gear is just stuff that has been demoted from freshwater use when I upgrade something like salmon and steelhead gear. I hose those reels off and oil them religiously after use, though. No great loss if one goes kaput. I've got one small Ugly Stik and one beefy rod from a thrift store. If the day ever comes to hook a trophy, I am hoping it will be on the heavy rod and not the 6' Ugly Stik. I don't have a lot of $$ invested in my salt water setups.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
In doing so, I tend to challenge myself using probably the stupidest gear possible with no expectations. The Barbie rod is probably the most ridiculous thing on the planet to take in the ocean, but man is it fun and absurdly effective. You jig 6oz all day with it if you like, and never have a worn out arm at the end of the day. 

I'd never want to tell someone how best to enjoy their fishing time.  Fly, barbie, meatstick, doesn't matter as long as it's fun.  We all make or have our personal challenges.  If I get to the barbie point I think I'll just go on down to the handline.

Does anyone remember the guy who extolled the virtues of the hand line.  If I remember right, all rod using kayak fishers were the unwashed heathens and hand lining was the purest version of kayak fishing. ::) 

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
In doing so, I tend to challenge myself using probably the stupidest gear possible with no expectations. The Barbie rod is probably the most ridiculous thing on the planet to take in the ocean, but man is it fun and absurdly effective. You jig 6oz all day with it if you like, and never have a worn out arm at the end of the day. 

I'd never want to tell someone how best to enjoy their fishing time.  Fly, barbie, meatstick, doesn't matter as long as it's fun.  We all make or have our personal challenges.  If I get to the barbie point I think I'll just go on down to the handline.

Does anyone remember the guy who extolled the virtues of the hand line.  If I remember right, all rod using kayak fishers were the unwashed heathens and hand lining was the purest version of kayak fishing. ::)

Fun is the motivator for me.  Get it done in whatever way works.

I get you on the handline, as I thought it would be interesting to feel the fight right in the hand.  Early early on in my kayak fishing days, I actually purchased a handline reel and had planned to have it on board in the event I killed or lost my primary rod/reel combo, but it was repurposed as a lake anchor reel before it ever hit the ocean.   ;D

Ah yes, I do remember that thread (or several threads) from Mr. Self and his superiority complex.  His monster Ling he was so proud of looked like it was a whopping 26" at best.  He was a special individual for sure.  ::)

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015

Ah yes, I do remember that thread (or several threads) from Mr. Self and his superiority complex.  His monster Ling he was so proud of looked like it was a whopping 26" at best.  He was a special individual for sure.  ::)

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=4773.30\
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon

Man that is a great read!

"20+ pound, 34" lingcod" -  :toothy9:

"I've got other shots that show the girth and length better that we may be able to accurately estimate weight from, but I'm saving those for publication."  ::)

RIP Pelagic: "I have a tape and a digital scale in both my yak/yak trailer and my Sled.  Otherwise the only thing that gets measured accurately is the fisherman's ego."

Check out the cool lingcod length/weight chart bsteves posted in that thread: http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4773.0;attach=5829;image

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
It does make a difference what your end goal is going to be each day you hit the water as to what you choose to bring with you.
Fo sho.  I didn't mean to completely poo-poo the Barbie rod idea.  It certainly sounds like a kick.  Like you said, different strokes for different folks with regards to their goals on an ocean trip.  Personally, I love it when I hook into a beast and all my gear is working perfectly, smooth drags and all.  I make that a goal on almost every trip.
aMayesing Bros.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

He lives here in Humboldt now.  Still guiding, sea kayaking, handlining, and pissing people off.  I've never had a problem with him personally and he seems to be doing pretty well for himself.