Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:24:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[Today at 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Capsizing in the Brine  (Read 10037 times)

AlfonsoVisaya

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
So there was I, in my Hobie Outback with my wheels bunjied to the back, my fishing basket with PVC acoutrements all rigged up and looking fancy, anchor, nice Lamiglas Rod and Ambassador reel combo, net, in my dry suit with PFD all tied appropriately and stylistically.  I hook a small sea bass, maybe eleven inches long or so, and hawl it in and think, throw it back, tempt a ling to take it, and after some minutes of sea bass torture, I think, this is my first sea bass of the season, first sea bass in my Outback.  I'm just going to take it home.  So I hawl the poor fish back in, pick it up out of the water, get it unhooked, turn around halfway to put it in my milk crate accessories purse, and I lean too far over backward and capsize.  As I float to the surface, I grab the kayak and right it.  Then I forget all about the videos I'd watched and the pictures I'd studied and pull on the far side handle, which pulled the kayak right back over.  I right it again, and by this time my buddy notices my spastic thrashing and comes and holds one side while I lumber my beloved, walrus frame back into the pilot's cockpit.  I thank him.  Then, taking stock, I find that my rod and reel are gone.  Lesson #1: Tether your valuables to the kayak.  My net is gone.  Lesson #2: Tether your valuables to the kayak.  The fish got away.  Lesson #3: Find a better goody bag system.  At this point, I haven't found the optimum goody bag yet, but I've deliberately gone out, capsized, and climbed back on a number of times to ensure that I guarantee some kind of intellectual growth to those closest to me.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Yeah, ouch. That hurts.... the wallet.... the pride...
Any divers in your area that might be willing to lend you a hand?

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Hard lesson learned.. Grab a game clip for your fish and rod/gear leashes can be made of anything.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Thanks for sharing!  I'm sure it will be a usefull cautionary tale to those who haven't already lived it.  ;D

I'm getting sloppy about tethering stuff lately and I'm sure I'll be paying the piper for it.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Ouch, indeed. Tethers are your friend.

So I hawl the poor fish back in, pick it up out of the water, get it unhooked, turn around halfway to put it in my milk crate accessories purse, and I lean too far over backward and capsize.

Yep, reaching back into your tank well is probably the most unstable thing you can do in a fishing kayak.  Doing it in an outback takes some skill though. ;)

Try sitting side saddle next time you need to reach back into your tank well, I find that it's a much more stable method.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Mean Joe

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Sorry to hear about your lost gear. :( The important thing is that you are alright. This past week I spent about $10 at Goodwill on three old mobile cell phone chargers. I added these to two old chargers I already had. I cut the springy cords off & added zip ties to make five kayak leashes. I'm beginning to think this was well spent time and material for when (not if) I take an unexpected swim.

Fishesfromtupperware

• Sturgeon
  • Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006

Try sitting side saddle next time you need to reach back into your tank well, I find that it's a much more stable method.

Brian

Ouch!! Expensive lesson, I'm sorry that it was so hard learned.
 But what Bsteves said is spot on. Try sitting side saddle with you legs overboard and you'll find yourself in a very comfortable and stable position that allows great access to the tankwell or to scoot up to the bow.  Straddling the boat with your legs in the water is another stable fishing (or napping) position. :sleepy1:
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

AlfonsoVisaya

• Herring
I sure appreciate some of the feedback on my tale of woe.  The game clip will be a piece of vocabulary that I'll be using soon in a quest at Ace in Ocean Shores.  I never expected the Outback to be as tipsy as it was, since the several times in the past I had used it I had had no clue that there was a tipping point.  And of course, I knew to sit side-saddle so as to provide drag for the big one that I hook and to allow easier access to both ends.  I really liked my dry suit and pfd for their efficiency.  I had fallen in the same place once before from a rubber raft and had neoprene waders on.  Neoprenes are relatively buoyant as well, but I spent longer looking up at the surface and waiting to meet it than I did this time.  But now also, I have a ten-year-old son who will be using a Hobie Sport to accompany Dad in this big adventure coming up at the Sekiu area.  I have some really good advice on where to fish from Polepole.  Thanks for all the input.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Hard lesson learned.. Grab a game clip for your fish ...

Ummmm ... that what I was doing when I huli'd last week, reaching for my game clip.  Of course that thrashing 25# halibut in my left hand didn't help either.    ::)

-Allen

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Hard lesson learned.. Grab a game clip for your fish ...

Ummmm ... that what I was doing when I huli'd last week, reaching for my game clip.  Of course that thrashing 25# halibut in my left hand didn't help either.    ::)

-Allen

We should all suffer such problems  ;)
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
We should all suffer such problems  ;)

Yes we should ...

-Allen

AlfonsoVisaya

• Herring
After viewing some video clips from Yaknitup and observing his process in catching lings, I can see that everything gets tethered.  I picked up the term "game clip" earlier, but in my research (strictly empirical, not academic) I am wondering if "game clip" means this clip that I'll include in this posting.  Then, once one gets his catch onto the stringer, does he then not worry about dangling bloody fish off the side of his yak?  Or does one stick it into a goody bag inside the yak?  What do you guys do?  Oh, and Yaknitup, awesome work on the outgoing and incoming surf launches.  You've motivated the whole clan over in this neck of the woods...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 11:54:53 AM by AlfonsoVisaya »

goldendog

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I use a large goodie bag hung over the side. It keeps the fish alive so you can bleed them when you get back to shore. If any curious seals are around, I just toss the bag into the back until I move or they do. Haven't had any problems yet, knock on wood!
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Game clip actually refers to what spearfishermen use.

You can find them at Hook1 ( www.kayakfishinggear.com ) or at your local dive shop.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I do the same as Golden dog....'cept I use a gunny sack with a rope run through it.
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.