Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 06:41:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[Today at 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Leashes  (Read 6801 times)

Fishesfromtupperware

• Sturgeon
  • Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
You know, contrary to popular misconception, I am not Badluck Schleprock. It's just that I've been fishing almost exclusively from a kayak for long enough to legitimately claim that I have forgotten more than a lot of people know about kayak fishing (since 1994).  Given that amount of time, like the monkeys typing randomly, I've actually kicked out a sonnet or two. The problem is that I've actually forgotten those things that most people don't know about kayak fishing. ::)
Case in point: leashes

The summer has been expensive. Actually, my first advice to any newbie who goes fishing with me is "if you want it, leash it!"   Dang but I wish I'd listen to my own advice!    :angry3:

Back in July I launched a few blocks north of Jacksonville Beach pier (FL), not a lot of life showing itself, but a lovely morning to go chase Tarpon. My buddy Gary was already out past the breakers and a larger set caught me in the impact zone. No big deal and the Hobie punched right through as a good wave washed over the deck and gave me an early morning drenching. I looked over my shoulder to make sure the rods and gear were in place and everything was fine. Then I reached in front of me to drop in the drive,,, and its gone.  :sad6:

As a rule, my standard operating procedure is to drop in the drive and secure the pedals, unless I'm going through fair sized surf. Then I find the pedals can get in my way hopping on or off the boat quickly. I find its a bit easier to leash them in the tankwell or on deck. (Bear in mind that the first two "mods" on my '06 Adventure were counterweights on the back of the pedals and a leash for the drive)
The leash was not connected. :angry4:
Beached the boat and spent the next couple of hours looking for a needle in a sand stack. No dice. Eventually gave up and went fishing for a bit. Caught two pogies 

But wait, there's more!

Came in and had a yard sale when I got off the back of the first wave and got broached by the next.  Camera? What camera? Ohhhh, the one Gary gave you a little crab float for that morning (that I did not put on). Oh, that camera <Pentax W60>  :blob8:

But wait, there's more!

Went out with Chappy Saturday night and a rod went over. Didn't find it, but I got some good reboarding practice looking for it. Later I noticed my paddle was gone. Chappy had graciously loaned me a mirage drive (see above) and I got spoiled. The night was pretty dark when I reached for it to back up away from a bank and it said "look for me". :angry8:

Perhaps someday I'll take my own advice.
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
LOL!  You need to write your life story and have it made into a movie! I'd even pay to see that one! Of course, the title of said autobiographical disclosure would have to be, "Don't Ask Me How I Know This!" ;D
ConeHeadMuddler

Em7b5

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2009
  Why does it feel so much better knowing that anything bad that may happen to me out on the water has already happened to you at least twice?

Chris

squidgirl

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Chris.. then i wont tell you that you missed the fun thursday when Ravdakot had to drop anchor and go get my paddle as it was floating off out of my reach cause i didnt have it leash.. thank god it floated. kind of felt helpless sitting out there on my Yak with no paddle.

Marilyn
"Life is short lets go fishing"

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I still rarely leash stuff ...  >:D

OK, I leash my fish stringer, lip gripper, and fish bonker.  But rods and paddle rarely get leashed.

-Allen

Madoc

• Lingcod
  • Kayak.Yng
I'm beginning to think that I should leash myself and my gear to my house before heading out

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Damn....running tally in my head comes out to almost a grand in damages for Wali... just this year alone..
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Em7b5

• Perch
  Nice one Madoc!

Fishesfromtupperware

• Sturgeon
  • Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Damn....running tally in my head comes out to almost a grand in damages for Wali... just this year alone..

thanks a lot WR  ::)

;D
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
you're most welcome sir.. as you may have noticed, i didn't add in the sets of keys, nor the cell phones that you sacrificed to the PDX downtown fishery earlier this year.. didn't want to add insult, to injury >:D
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

squidgirl

• Salmon
Wali....... i smacked WR for ya..

You need to  ask him if hes done any fishing or just sitting on his kayak clearing out birdnests...  ;D .

Em7b5

• Perch
  Yea SG, but whose birdnests were they? ;)

squidgirl

• Salmon
Chris.... His. i only have birdnested once so far. and i clean up my own messes.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
:icon_scratch: trying to remember when last time i had a bird nest on a spinning reel...... :dontknow:

Em7b5

• Perch
  Hey WR, it sounds like you need to get out more.............