Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 10:17:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:32:04 AM]

[Today at 08:23:42 AM]

[May 21, 2024, 05:54:13 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 04:51:49 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 01:07:12 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 12:36:33 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: drilled the big hole, the rubber dealy does not work now what?  (Read 4291 times)

holtfisher

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Well after having carefully thought through the process of drilling a 3/8 hole in my revo to mount a single screw bungie cord connector and use one of the rubber inserts from Hobie to mount it, I learned that this is not the thing to do. The rubber insert pulled through, which now,  I see was very predictable.  (yea yea yea, measure and think twice before cuttin or drillin)  :-\  The hole is temporarily patched with a rubber deally however it is temporary.  How do I fill the hole to get back to somewhat normal?  I do have some Revo plastic from other successful cuttin and drillin.  Thank you in advance for solutions and type of equipment to use.  Am sure there will be no harrassment  ::)
Holt
Hobie Revo, Mirage Drive

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Check out this thread:

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,1526.msg11957.html#msg11957

It has two ideas for you:
1) Fill the hole using a soldering iron and scrap material
2) Fill the hole with a nut and gooped bolt

The ease and elegance of 2Pole's solution pissed me off.  ;D  But a year later, my patch is still going strong.

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
For smaller holes, like a 3/8 size, I've done both of the previous mentioned solutions from Spot and they work very well. I've also found a third one that is pretty darn quick. I've only used it on areas that I am able to reach to the inside to the backside of the area needing to be patched. I use a small butane torch with a somewhat low flame setting. I'll take one of the curly pieces that are produced when a hole is drilled (I now keep them around for this very reason) and stick it into the hole needing to be plugged. I take a piece of wood about 2 inches wide(I have an old wooden spoon that works well for this) and place it inside the kayak, against the backside. I heat up the area with the butane torch with a circular motion, starting at a bit of a distance, then getting a little closer as I get a feel for how fast it is heating up the plastic. Make sure to not heat up the plastic too much or you'll have a much bigger hole than 3/8"! It doesn't take very long for the area to heat up and the curly plastic piece to melt. Once it does, I quickly set down the torch, and pick up a scrap piece of kayak plastic(a scrap piece of wood will also work here) and push it up against the hole, while applying pressure from the inside of the kayak with the other wood piece. Presto! The hole is patched! As you can imagine, there is a limited amount of places on a kayak where this is an option, but it can save some time when it can be used.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
drill it bigger and install a flush mount ::)
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

jself

If you are in PDX come by Alder Creek Jantzen Beach and we can plastic weld it for you.

We're moving right now, so call first and make sure we can find the welder ;)

503-285-0464
Jason

holtfisher

• Lingcod
Jason and all, thank you for the input regarding what to do regarding filling the hole, now holes. Tried stainless steel rivet and it pulled through >:(.  creating hole number 2.  May be a bit before I get to Pdx Jason, and I do look forward to being in your store. Thank you for your offer!

I sure do appreciate the wonderful resource created here in NWKA!
holt
Hobie Revo, Mirage Drive

jself

use cherry rivets and drill the hole the same size as the rivet.

J

SantaDan

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2009
Holt,
I'll just come by and take it off your hands, then you won't have to repair it. I won't even charge you for the service!!
Dan in Oly!

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
use cherry rivets and drill the hole the same size as the rivet.

I love this place.  Had to Google "Cherry rivets".  Self-plugging.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pdf/2009Individual/Cat09098.pdf
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

holtfisher

• Lingcod
Cherry rivets, interesting, are they aluminum and if so how would they do with saltwater exposure.

Dan, very interesting offer, I need to drill afew more holes first, thinking of a reverse hatch cover in the bottom of the boat to see what is under the surface ;D  ;D  ;D, perhaps you will have a shot at the boat someday, but caution you not to hold your breath :laugh:

Do you salt or fresh water yak fish in Olympia area? What yak do you use?
Holt
Hobie Revo, Mirage Drive

jself

cherry rivets have a plastic sheath that is perferated. when you use the rivet gun, they expand on the backside. kind of like a molly screw. they're the only rivets i've been able to make work.

I ordered several hundred from OK...the only place I could find them.

I'm not sure if they're aluminum or steel, but I haven't had any issues with rusting, and that's what OK, Wildy etc use in their flushmounts.

holtfisher

• Lingcod
Thank you Nanook.
holt
Hobie Revo, Mirage Drive