Forum > Product Discussions

Knife Sharpeners

(1/3) > >>

polepole:
So we have a nice thread going on knifes, but what do you all use to sharpen your knifes.  I've tried many products, but other than a good old whetstone, I don't like any of them enough to recommend them.  So ... what are you using?

-Allen

ZeeHawk:
2nd that for the plain ol' whetstone. I've tried a few different kinds but nothing works like the old style for me.

Z

bsteves:
I've not found a knife sharpening system (ceramic wheelie things) that works better than a whetstone.  I prefer stones that use oil rather than water as their lubricant.  Oh, and I find that the bigger the stone the better for getting consistent results.   Better yet, have them professionally sharpened.
Oh and don't forget to use a steel for straightening the edge of your knives between sharpenings.

Brian 

polepole:
Yup ... bigger stone, lube with oil.

All that being said, I do carry one of these in the field.  It does put an edge on the knife when needed, although the edge doesn't last that long so I find myself resharpening often and honing even more often (I got a little pocket honing rod for that).

But it does grind a lot of metal, and sometimes leaves a ragged edge.  And the only way I can get rid of that ragged edge is to get the knives professionally sharpened every now and then.  Of course the filleting sessions on gravel  beaches ::) also puts some nicks on the edge.

-Allen

coosbayyaker:
I also agree on using a whetstone. I get most of my stuff like that from my woodworking supply sites. Here's a decent set with 3 different two grit stones..

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=9952

and woodcraft is my main source.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=237&cs=233&pcs=fam

Of course, if you don't want to spend the bucks on stones, a piece of wet and dry sandpaper stuck on glass with water works fine too. Thats how you keep your stones flat too. rub the stone on the sandpaper stuck to glass often to keep the face flat and true.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version