Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 01:35:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[Today at 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Can A Texan Catch A Salmon At Bouy 10 August 15th ?  (Read 4193 times)

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

We are sure gonna give it a try.

Different tides this coming weekend. Gotta play the cards you're dealt, right ?

We may catch some in Willapa Bay Wednesday (hope so) ... but just in case that doesn't happen---- have to fish the Big C to erase a "bucket list" goal.

I have already heard of some interest about folks wanting to fish here .... so here we go again . Saturday August 15th.

Should we make it a party for a feisty noble Texan ??? I think we should  ;D
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
You can count Jay, Pinstriper and myself in. Noon launch?

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
#UNTXArtKayakSalmonQuest

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen

Alright.........

A noon launch sounds about right.

Shipwreck or Knappton ???

TBD

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.

upnorthtex

• Lingcod
  • Outback/ texas power paddle
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Old manhad a swing and a miss today, nice silver grabbed my hooks, gave me a couple of jumps and a run then released herself. Mark did give me chance and I failed. Looking forbetter tomorrow. Art

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Old manhad a swing and a miss today, nice silver grabbed my hooks, gave me a couple of jumps and a run then released herself. Mark did give me chance and I failed. Looking forbetter tomorrow. Art

Right on!

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen

The high tide at Shipwreck and/or Knappton will be around 3:00 pm Saturday. Launching about noon would give us 3 hours of incoming tide and a couple of hours with the tide going out. That will work out great if the winds don't come up and blow us off. Prediction so far looks to be maximum gusts around 16 mph.
 For anyone that doesn't have a lot of time on the water in "BIG" water I'll say this---- expect a lot of turbulence. There will be a lot of powerboats out there. The water will be "bouncy" from all the activity. If you are not comfortable in those conditions--- please get with someone who is and "tandem" fish.  Better to have a buddy close than not. It WILL  be rough out there.
 That said----------- if we get a little rain to cool off the water ---- the fishing could be epic. Should be plenty of salmon.
 So............another Open Invitation to Fish the Lower Colombia. Bring your A-Game and let's catch some fish.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
You're getting closer, Art!  Keep at it, I want to see some salmon grinning photos soon!!

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen

All righty then........

Forecast is looking great for tomorrow. Here is a good site to confirm the weather...http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/ofs_station.shtml?stname=Knappton&ofs=cre&stnid=9440575&subdomain=lo

Because there may be more than a handful of people coming out--- let's meet up at "Shipwreck". The Knappton launch is pretty limited for parking. If you have wheels -- you might want to bring them. It's not a far drag -- just sayin'.
  I'd suggest bringing at least a dozen herring with maybe a hood of some kind so your bait doesn't blow out too easily. I'll also have plenty of size 5 up to 7 spinners (big bait=big fish). I tend to use a lighter weight than some @ 4 -6 oz. That works for me but a lot of people will go much heavier-- up to 16 or more.
  My plan will be to work "down current" on the incoming and then back toward the launch on the outgoing tide. Gotta let the tide be your friend out there.
  Bring you A game and let's catch some fish Saturday.

Mark

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
Well today was lets just say a great day for us on the water. Little better for the guys with fins in there hobies  ;D but for the most part it was......

Shannon

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Well, not completely skunked...

On the way back in, I did boat what I thought to be a steelhead but may have been a Coho jack.

Whatever it was, it was a native fish, around 20" maybe a touch more. Top was green with dark spots, very speckled. Bottom was bright silver.

Inside the mouth was white (so not a nook, or a nook jack), with some black streaks working from the center. Tooth line was white.

Anyway, I was anxious to return him to the water as I knew I couldn't keep a native unless it was a nook, which I knew it was not. And there was a furbag did a belly flop about 15' off my kayak about 20 seconds after I boated the fish,  probably jumped out of the water to get a better look.

I didn't want any part of attracting a seal into the boat and I was too far from the others for them to get a look at definitively identify. I figured I didn't KNOW the fish was a keep-able fish, and strongly believed it had to go back anyway, so I put him back while he was still alive. I figure the furbag got him anyway.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
The Stars at Night Are Big and Bright... deep in the eyes of a blackmouth. Stay strong Art, we'll get you one in Coos Bay!

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen

Well dadgummit,

Upnorthtex did not get to catch a salmon at Buoy 10 this time . He and 5 others kayakers sure gave it a good try Saturday. So did several hundred powerboaters. I didn't see any nets fly all day. Not sure why there just wasn't much of a bite during the time and place we fished.

That said  .... It was great to hook-up with Art. The more I got to know him the more respect I have for this awesome man. I hope we can get together again and try for more fish or even just share a campfire.

I hope you guys down south will get this man a salmon from his kayak. The dude is hardcore and will give it his all . Art -- you are bad ass. Go  get 'em partner. And safe travels back to Texas.

I am Mark

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
The Stars at Night Are Big and Bright... deep in the eyes of a blackmouth. Stay strong Art, we'll get you one in Coos Bay!
Well put.... I'm  giving him a shot on the Nehalem looks like maybe Tuesday. Then in the bay for some fun with the black rocks on the south wall

Shannon

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
It was tough out there and I did not see nearly as many nets flying as the previous two times I had been there. We got a few, though.