Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 06:00:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 05:42:39 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: New record!  (Read 4146 times)

Kyle M

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Based on the huge numbers over the dam I decided to troll the big C near Portland yesterday.  Marked some fish but couldn't hook up.  So I decided to drop a lead mooching rig on top of some marks.  Paddled a bit to get back in position, then reeled up to find this "limit" plus one.  I just can't seem to hook a salmon in fresh water anymore.  I found this hookup both sad and funny. 

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Lol. That's pretty good. Those are some voracious clams attacking your lure like that. I wouldn't swim there.  You'll get clammed to death.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Ha!  Pretty funny.  What kind of clams are they, are they edible, and is it legal to keep that kind of clams?  If you can't catch salmon, you might as well go after clams.

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Ha!  Pretty funny.  What kind of clams are they, are they edible, and is it legal to keep that kind of clams?  If you can't catch salmon, you might as well go after clams.

As far as I know freshwater clams are off limits.plus they are filter feeders so I don't think I would eat them anyways from the Columbia. I found one at the mouth of the deschutes on year that was bigger than the palm of my hand.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Nice catch!

These are introduced, invasive Asian clams (Corbicula fluminea) and not native clams.    If anything, they are a danger to the native floaters (native freshwater mussel, sometimes called a clam).  They are very popular small clam for things like soups in their native region, but tend to be bio-accumulators of toxins here in the Columbia River.    I'm not familiar with any regulations specific to these clams, but in general you are not allowed to move non-native species (particularly if they are still alive).

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/factsheet.aspx?speciesid=92
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'm not familiar with any regulations specific to these clams

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/docs/2015/2015%20Oregon%20Sport%20Fishing%20Regs_r12-11-14.pdf

Page 9, "It is illegal to harvest or possess any freshwater mussels or clams."

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/docs/2015/2015%20Oregon%20Sport%20Fishing%20Regs_r12-11-14.pdf

I'm curious as to whether this is true of Washington also. I can't find it in the regs there.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!

Man, you'd think if they were invasive, they would do a public service announcement, test them, and if they were anywhere near edible from a contaminant point of view, open it up.  If they are a known edible species in Asia, I can say with almost complete certainty, they'd get wiped out or at the very least severely knocked down in a hurry.

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon

Man, you'd think if they were invasive, they would do a public service announcement, test them, and if they were anywhere near edible from a contaminant point of view, open it up.  If they are a known edible species in Asia, I can say with almost complete certainty, they'd get wiped out or at the very least severely knocked down in a hurry.

They're very very tiny (~ 1 inch max).  In America we like things big nobody wants to work that hard for tiny bits of clam meat.  On the other hand, in China, it seems the harder it is to obtain, cook, or eat something, the more of a delicacy it is considered. 

Also, they don't want people transporting these things around live for food and accidentally introducing them to new bodies of water in the process.  Although in this case they are pretty ubiquitous.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!

They're very very tiny (~ 1 inch max).  In America we like things big nobody wants to work that hard for tiny bits of clam meat.  On the other hand, in China, it seems the harder it is to obtain, cook, or eat something, the more of a delicacy it is considered. 

Also, they don't want people transporting these things around live for food and accidentally introducing them to new bodies of water in the process.  Although in this case they are pretty ubiquitous.

Makes sense. I don't know what we call them here but I'd kill for a bucket of the clams in Japn we call "asari" I think. Great in miso soup and stock. Wiki says they are Manila clams but I know what they are. The ones I'm thinking of are darker and thumbnail size.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
In seems that in Japan, there are various species of Corbicula called shijimi

http://japanesefooddictionary.blogspot.com/2012/02/shijimi.html

Shijimi ramen looks pretty tasty to me...

Snamighty

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
Those are Asian Clams; I have seen them since I was a kid growing up here in Oregon.  They are edible, and popular among southeast Asian style stir fries.  My parents used to harvest them along the Oregon rivers in the late 80's early 90's before it was illegal to take them.  Yup, those are the same clams in the Shijimi Ramen noodles.

-Veasna
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 06:56:05 PM by Snamighty »

-Veasna

"Give him a fish, you'll feed him for a day.  But teach him how to fish, he'll steal your fish."

2015 Hobie Pro Angler

Kyle M

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
The bottom of the Columbia is loaded with these.  They are literally three inches apart all over the bottom.  At least where I did some diving near Vancouver and Sauvie Island.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!

In seems that in Japan, there are various species of Corbicula called shijimi

http://japanesefooddictionary.blogspot.com/2012/02/shijimi.html

Shijimi ramen looks pretty tasty to me...

Your Japanese is better than mine! That's it!!!

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com