Forum > Idaho Kayak Fishing

Priest Lake Mackinaw (video)

(1/3) > >>

uplandsandpiper:
I moved to north Idaho in September 2016 and the Priest Lake Mackinaw fishery quickly became one of my favorite. A career opportunity for my favorite fishing partner recently brought me back to Washington state but I did manage a trip back up to Priest before leaving. I hope you enjoy!

Beachmaster90:

--- Quote from: uplandsandpiper on May 22, 2017, 11:32:14 AM ---I moved to north Idaho in September 2016 and the Priest Lake Mackinaw fishery quickly became one of my favorite. A career opportunity for my favorite fishing partner recently brought me back to Washington state but I did manage a trip back up to Priest before leaving. I hope you enjoy!

--- End quote ---

If only there were more people in Idaho to enjoy this!

I just came on the Idaho forum to see if anyone had tips for Stanley lake lake trout.

Do you have any tips for lake trout that see a lot of pressure and are definitely are eating Kokanee? There are 30-40 pound fish in this lake and I haven't been able to get any to bite the normal lake trout gear I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uplandsandpiper:
I highly recommend giving the Shimano Lucanus jigs a shot. They are spendy but worth it in my opinion. I was skeptical until I tried them and my catch ratio jumped 5 fold. Just something about the action on those jigs. The glow chartreuse and white or blue and white work well at Priest where the primary diet of those fish is kokanee and shrimp. I do recommend upgrading the factory hooks to size 1/0 Big River Bait hooks by Gamakatsu just use a 50+ braid to tie those in it. Its super easy.

Tipping your hooks with Pikeminnow, sucker, or perch (if legal) really ramps up the bite but nightcrawlers will work. Anise scent works well too. Even with fish spread out I've done really well targeting single marks on the fishfinder and catching them using the above setup.

Good luck!   

Idaho Brit:

--- Quote from: uplandsandpiper on June 10, 2017, 05:49:47 PM ---I highly recommend giving the Shimano Lucanus jigs a shot. They are spendy but worth it in my opinion. I was skeptical until I tried them and my catch ratio jumped 5 fold. Just something about the action on those jigs. The glow chartreuse and white or blue and white work well at Priest where the primary diet of those fish is kokanee and shrimp. I do recommend upgrading the factory hooks to size 1/0 Big River Bait hooks by Gamakatsu just use a 50+ braid to tie those in it. Its super easy.

--- End quote ---

Did you try these on PO and were they effective.

Beachmaster90:

--- Quote from: uplandsandpiper on June 10, 2017, 05:49:47 PM ---I highly recommend giving the Shimano Lucanus jigs a shot. They are spendy but worth it in my opinion. I was skeptical until I tried them and my catch ratio jumped 5 fold. Just something about the action on those jigs. The glow chartreuse and white or blue and white work well at Priest where the primary diet of those fish is kokanee and shrimp. I do recommend upgrading the factory hooks to size 1/0 Big River Bait hooks by Gamakatsu just use a 50+ braid to tie those in it. Its super easy.

Tipping your hooks with Pikeminnow, sucker, or perch (if legal) really ramps up the bite but nightcrawlers will work. Anise scent works well too. Even with fish spread out I've done really well targeting single marks on the fishfinder and catching them using the above setup.

Good luck!

--- End quote ---

Awesome, thanks. I'll definitely give these a shot and let you know how they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version