Forum > Drillin' & Cuttin'

well nuts vs stainless tapered screws

(1/2) > >>

amb:
What's the preference for attaching gear to a kayak?  Well nuts or stainless screws.  Which would be stronger?  Unfortunately bolt through is not an option, so what do you folks suggest?

steelheadr:

--- Quote from: amb on November 13, 2008, 05:14:13 PM ---What's the preference for attaching gear to a kayak?  Well nuts or stainless screws.  Which would be stronger?  Unfortunately bolt through is not an option, so what do you folks suggest?

--- End quote ---

If by "bolt through" you mean that you can't get a nut on the other side of the plastic for a bolt, then well nuts and rivets designed for this type of thin plastic each have their proponents. There has been some discussion on this board and tons on other boards about well nuts vs rivets. Screws would have little to nothing to bite into and would likely get ripped out with little force.

Jay

bsteves:
I use screws (self tapping sheet metal ones) for a few things and they do fine.   Maybe I'm just too cheap and lazy to buy proper well nuts.

ZeeHawk:

--- Quote from: bsteves on November 13, 2008, 09:27:46 PM ---Maybe I'm just too cheap and lazy to buy proper well nuts.

--- End quote ---

Yes you are. :D

Rivets rock for places where interior access is limited. Just put a dab of goop down and rivet that sucker in!

Z

[WR]:
and don't forget that sometimes you need to reinforce the underside with a backing plate made from an el cheapo plastic cutting board... saves your deck from buckling, or screws pulling thru... fender washers are nice when you do use screws, but not always the right answer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version