Forum > Other Paddlecraft

Bangka Boat

(1/2) > >>

bizshop:
Just finished building my Philippine/Pacific Islander style double outrigger sailing canoe with crabclaw sail. 24' long, but in 3 sections for easy transport. Should be a very stable platform for fishing!  Photo is a of the dry sail as I check everything, hopefully in the water tomorrow or the next day (if I can find me a mate willing to test her)

Sorry picture is rotated, don't know how to fix that.

YippieKaiyak:
Looks awesome!  Any details on the construction?

YippieKaiyak:
lol, weird.  I rotated the picture and reposted it but it went back to laying down.   Guessing it has something to do with the aspect ratio?

YippieKaiyak:
One more try!  This one's cropped but I think I may have derped the original download in the repost versus the rotated.

bizshop:
Thanks Yippiekaiyak for doing that rotation!

A few construction details - Hull is in 3 pieces bolted together so it can be cartopped. It is 1/4 inch plywood fiberglassed.  It can be 24 foot with middle section, or 16 foot with middle section out. Each piece weighs about 60 pounds. The basic hull design is a W'apaa, comes from a book on building outrigger sailing canoes by Gary Dierking. The outrigger supports (aka) are aluminum I-beam. The outriggers (ama) are vinyl gutter downspouts, front shaped to a point and stuffed with empty sealed water bottles (unsinkable!).  The front and stern sections also each a large airtight compartment for storage and floatation.  Floor is double with 2" foam sandwiched. Holes in the wooden ama mounts allow for different depths of draft depending on how loaded the canoe is.  Crab claw sail is on 12' bamboo yards. The longest 2" bamboo I could get was 8', so there is a screw-on joint on each, which also makes it shorter for transport.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version