Forum > Other Paddlecraft

My first ever Springer, with a fin.

(1/1)

rogerdodger:
I don't usually post non-kayak fish here but this one was special and from a non-powered DB so...

I hooked, caught, and released my first ever spring chinook on Thursday, near Leaburg while drifting the McKenzie river. 

about a 10# wild springer, right on was all I could think, we shared a great fight in strong current on what I consider 'summer steelhead gear'.  The #2 hook was in the corner of his jaw and I easily removed it with just my fingers (while he was in the net in the water) then I carefully lifted him out and on his way.  my buddy had his GoPro running and he stuck it underwater for the release, I should get that video soon, this is an image capture from it:

PS- rumors that my back twist was minor are true!  clean living, 3 nights camping in the redwoods with my wife, and single malt scotch, good as new and keeping my eye on ocean conditions next week.   

Mojo Jojo:
Congrats Roger, beautiful fish and don’t worry about non yak fish we all get them and some post them, myself included.

Tinker:

--- Quote from: rogerdodger on June 29, 2018, 06:49:57 PM ---I don't usually post non-kayak fish here but this one was special and from a non-powered DB so...

I hooked, caught, and released my first ever spring chinook on Thursday, near Leaburg while drifting the McKenzie river. 

about a 10# wild springer, right on was all I could think, we shared a great fight in strong current on what I consider 'summer steelhead gear'.  The #2 hook was in the corner of his jaw and I easily removed it with just my fingers (while he was in the net in the water) then I carefully lifted him out and on his way.  my buddy had his GoPro running and he stuck it underwater for the release, I should get that video soon, this is an image capture from it:

PS- rumors that my back twist was minor are true!  clean living, 3 nights camping in the redwoods with my wife, and single malt scotch, good as new and keeping my eye on ocean conditions next week.   

--- End quote ---

Heck, I even post "bankie" stories, and your report is a good one.  Nice fish, and thanks for the tale.

You're proof of that what the medics fear most, that clean living, redwoods camping, and a fine single-malt can patch up a bum back faster than they can.  Good to hear you're standing up straight again.

Looks like a decent window might appear next week.  Stick with clean living - camping and Highland Park at your discretion.

(You didn't plant a Rex Hunt on that fish did you?  There's a glint in your eye...   >:D)

Spot:
That's a beauty!  Congrats!

-Mark-

Clayman:
Nice work on that unicorn Roger!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version