Forum > The Mighty Columbia

Help Understanding Lower Columbia Regs

(1/2) > >>

Oldhammer:
I am totally unfamiliar with the lower Columbia fishery and am trying to educate myself.  A huge barrier for me is understanding the regulations.  It looks like there was an announcement yesterday about Spring Chinook opening from March 1 to April 4. 

The Columbia Zone Oregon Regulations read:
Open for hatchery steelhead Jan 1 – Mar 31 and Aug 1 – Dec 31.
Open for hatchery Chinook salmon Jan 1 – Mar 31.
Open for adult Chinook salmon Aug 1 – Aug 31.
Open for adult hatchery coho salmon Aug 1 – Dec 31. Minimum length for adult coho is 16 inches.
Retention of jack salmon allowed Oct 1 – Dec 31.

Those don't seem to match.  Can anyone help me with this?

uplandsandpiper:
What do you mean they don't match? Seems self explanatory to me.

alpalmer:
sometimes it takes ODFW a while to update their e-regs, particularly with Covid, but I do see the media report you are referring to:  https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2021/02/columbia-river-spring-salmon-fishing-season-set.html

Perhaps call ODFW to confirm the report.

Beer_Run:
Main question is are there fish to be had on the Columbia between here and when it closes on 4/4?

Am I miss reading something? From the initial post it seems the Columbia is closed to Chinook from April 4 until Aug 1 and closed for the year on August 31?  I see there is a two week opening back half of June below I-5 bridge.

Am I close?

Oldhammer:
It says open for Chinook from 3/1 to 4/4 but hatchery chinook from 1/1-1/31 and adult chinook from 8/1-8/31.  Is this referring to 3 different kinds of chinook?  Like I said, I am new to this fishery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version