Forum > Alaska Kayak Fishing

Whiskey Gulch 2022

(1/4) > >>

MikeA210:
Just moved back to AK after being gone for 2 years, anyone planning Whiskey Gulch trips late APR/MAY etc ? Trying to regain connections so I can launch with buddies. The water up here is a little chilly compared to Florida  ;)

I've got a Hobie Outback with a TI7 triple shot and have been kayak fishing for almost 9 years now. Also already have a dry suit from last time I was up here. Looking forward to making some fishing buddies and getting these lines tight.

YakHunter:
If you slightly crop your photos they will load up correctly.  Don't know why but it works....

Klondike Kid:
Hey Mike, welcome back to God's Country. Although FL isn't such a bad alternative for diving and fishing.

I'm sure there are some AK lurkers out there but the momentum has shifted....dare I say dramatically....since your earlier presence. Perhaps if a few of us start posting some "mouth-watering photos" and vids it might revive the enthusiasm of others.

I'm located in Soldotna so am right in the heart of paradise, meaning much less than a tank of diesel for a round trip anywhere from Seward to Homer. LOL I haven't sampled the salt yet this year as its still a bit early for the Hooligan and Herring runs along the beach, but not that far off. In the meantime, I've been waiting for Kenai Lake to ice out so I can get up there and fish the bait fishing area beyond the 1/4 mile ADFG markers and put 3 species on the AOTY board as a Spring start. Still ice on the lake but its beginning to break in spots from what my sources say. I might give that a try on Saturday and launch from the bridge ramp unless they are charging. If so I'll go across the bridge and haul down the easement to the river for free.

Looking at the Whisky Gulch Tide Tables we have just entered the Big tide sets with a peak of minus 3.6 on 4/19.  Saturday 4/23 is back to neap tides with sunrise at 6:22am and a high tide at 8:27am. And only a 9 foot tide difference from the early morning low. I'm kinda eye-balling that potential window right now. That would give 2 hours before high to fish and have high water to return to the beach if the expected breeze kicks up by mid morning.

MikeA210:
Hey Klondike,

Im almost certain we met back in 2016/17 but I don't quite recall. I don't know if there is apps or websites you use to ID the windows for weather/thresh hold for unfavorable conditions up here are.

As much as I would love to mooch information and fishing windows off of you and only worry about driving south and floating with a hook in the water ;), Id also like to be proactive so I can be more predictable for giving my wife a heads up. Do you look at websites/have apps that help you look at weather at whiskey? I already have plans Friday (when I would want to drive down to fish SAT morning) or I'd ask to tag along. But I haven't made plans any weekends moving forward. What size hooks do you use? 16/0? Do you have a preference in bait? Last time I would just buy frozen hoochies from cabalas and use that, but I'm always down for alternative suggestions.

For the past 2 1/2 years I've been launching with a live well and catching live on sabiki's, living 15 minutes from launching, gotta get back in the preparation mode needed for prepping in advance and driving 4 hours -_-

Thanks for the response and I look forward to hearing from you!

MikeA210:
I just reserved an RV Spot at Whiskey Point for memorial day weekend so hopefully during that weekend there will be a window or two to hit the water. hopefully I see some of you all out there!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version