Forum > Montana Kayak Fishing

Lake trout fishing in a snowstorm

(1/2) > >>

pmmpete:
The weather on Flathead Lake in western Montana was predicted to be kind of calm and kind of sunny with no precipitation, so I headed over there to go kayak fishing.  The actual weather was kind of windy with kind of rowdy waves, and snowing hard.  I was warm and comfortable in my dry suit, but a lot of ice built up on my kayak and gear, and eventually my reels froze up solid, so I quit early.  Once I had all my gear on and in my car, it quit snowing, the wind calmed down, and the waves flattened out. Of course.

SD2OR:
Yeah, it gets frustrating real quick, when the line freezes to the guides every 20-30 seconds!
I've personally only fished in conditions that cols a couple times, and unlike you, didn't manage to catch anything. Way to persevere!

Asully503:
Awesome pictures, congrats on the fish!

pmmpete:

--- Quote from: SD2OR on April 15, 2022, 04:08:17 PM ---Yeah, it gets frustrating real quick, when the line freezes to the guides every 20-30 seconds!
I've personally only fished in conditions that cols a couple times, and unlike you, didn't manage to catch anything. Way to persevere!

--- End quote ---
It's easy (although inconvenient) to clear ice off my line guides and the level wind device in my reel.  But when the line spool in my reel freezes up solid, I'm screwed. 

pmmpete:
Here's the fish in the post after I filleted and vacuum packed it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version