Forum > Product Discussions

Trailering Options?

(1/4) > >>

jason.fornelli:
I'm considering getting a trailer (had one before, but just ended up throwing the yak in the bed of the pickup) because I'm looking at getting an SUV so I can just sleep in it when traveling further from home.

Looking for ideas/suggestions on what *kind* of trailer I should consider. Obviously, I want it to be able to haul a kayak around. I want the wheels and axles rated for highway speed (prefer not being limited to 55 mph or less). It needs to fit in my garage with the kayak on it. And, (I think) the last requirement is that it have the option for putting on a RTT, while still having the kayak on (in case that ever becomes a thing for me).

I'm not looking to build my own from the ground up, but am okay with making *some* modifications. Do I go with something like a utility trailer (with low walls or some kind of exterior frame)? ...some kind of jet ski or kayak trailer with modifications to allow for the RTT? ...or something like the Yakima EasyRider, which is just a tubular frame, 75 mph max but comes with a huge price tag?

tjpeck:
RTT = roof top tent?
Nice idea. Overall height would likely be less than the suv.

Pinstriper:
I modded a jetski trailer to hold two kayaks and it works great. Float off, float on just like any boat at the ramp, or you could also put a cart under each and wheel them to the shore away from a ramp to launch.

I don't see any practical way to put the framing in for a RTT above, however. The boats themselves already fill the trailer from wheel well to wheel well and the frame underneath is blocked.

I suppose if you just made it for a single boat you would still have room the build up from the frame.

jason.fornelli:

--- Quote from: tjpeck on May 24, 2022, 08:36:20 PM ---RTT = roof top tent?
Nice idea. Overall height would likely be less than the suv.

--- End quote ---
Yes, RTT = Roof Top Tent
Yeah, I'm not looking to lift up on top of the vehicle.

--- Quote from: Pinstriper on May 25, 2022, 07:50:54 AM ---I modded a jetski trailer to hold two kayaks and it works great. Float off, float on just like any boat at the ramp, or you could also put a cart under each and wheel them to the shore away from a ramp to launch.

I don't see any practical way to put the framing in for a RTT above, however. The boats themselves already fill the trailer from wheel well to wheel well and the frame underneath is blocked.

I suppose if you just made it for a single boat you would still have room the build up from the frame.

--- End quote ---

I would rarely need to haul a 2nd kayak, so single is fine. But, I'm thinking it would be kind of cool to have some tracks or something going across the width of the platform, front and back, so that I could center a single kayak on mounts or move to one side and add more mounts for a 2nd kayak.

Larry_MayII_HR:
Jason - There are many posts on this forum about kayak trailers...I'd suggest looking up past posts for ideas on what other's have done.

In the meantime, here is a photo of my trailer. It's made from the smallest trailer Harbor Freight offers, with built-up cross bars for two boats, or maybe three with the racks as shown. I had my 2016 outback and 2018 revo on it last week with both boats laid on the bars on their gunnels. The trailer is certainly light enough to move by hand and fit into any garage.

The 55 MPH limit disclaimer on HF trailers, in my mind, is primarily applicable at rated load. I never have more than 300 lbs worth of gear and boats on this trailer, so that's only 30% of rated load. I have had this thing going 70 MPH before for hours at a time and it's been fine. Bearings weren't even hot to the touch. Keep 'em greased though.

--Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version