Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:02:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Telescoping boat ladder for re-entering my Pro Angler  (Read 1590 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Here is a YouTube video which shows how I have added a telescoping boat ladder to my Pro Angler to make re-entering the kayak easy and reliable in a self-rescue situation:

I don't have any problem re-entering my 13' Hobie Revolution, and can right the kayak and re-enter it in about 20 seconds without using any rescue equipment.  I snorkel and speargun for pike from my anchored 13' Ocean Kayak Trident, and re-enter it many times a day while wearing 13-16 pounds of weights on my body and about three pounds on each ankle.  However, after I bought a 12' Hobie Pro Angler 360, I discovered that it is much harder for me to re-enter that kayak than my other two sit-on-top kayaks.  It took a maximum physical effort for me to heave myself back into the kayak, and I often hung up part of the way in with the kayak pitched up at an angle. In big waves, wind, and/or surf, which is probably what would result in me ending up in the water, I could imagine waves dumping the kayak back over upside down several times before I succeeded in getting back into the kayak.  Because I do a lot of kayaking by myself in cold weather and cold water, I was concerned that in adverse conditions I might find myself unable to get back into the kayak. I experimented with rope ladders and various other techniques and equipment, but none of them were helpful.

Then I came across a YouTube video showing a telescoping boat ladder which a kayaker added to the stern of his Pro Angler.  It looked like a good idea.  However, the kayaker stated in his responses to several comments requesting video showing the ladder in use that he had never actually tried to use the ladder, which was rather bizarre.

But I decided to try the idea.  However, I didn't want to install the ladder on the stern of my kayak, because I would have to climb over or past a large hard-sided cooler, two kayak paddle halves, a net, a spare fishing rod, two water bottles, a pee funnel, two tackle bins, and the back of the kayak's seat. So I decided to install a ladder on the bow of my Pro Angler, because I would only need to crawl over the Mirage Drive pedals, and could keep a low center of gravity.

If you do an internet search on Google or Amazon for "boat ladder" or "telescoping boat ladder" you'll get results for many stainless steel boat ladders for installation at the stern of a motorboat to assist swimmers in getting back into the boat.  Many of the ladders were in the $45-$50 price range.  I bought a three step ladder, which is the appropriate size, and in a day or so I made a mount for the ladder which I bolted on the flat area on top of the bow of my Pro Angler, in front of the front hatch.

The ladder works beautifully.  It's easy for me to deploy when I'm in the water next to the Pro Angler, and it's very easy for me to climb up the ladder onto the bow of the kayak and move back into the kayak seat.  And I can deploy the ladder, climb in, and get the ladder folded and back on top of the bow quickly. I now feel much more secure while using the Pro Angler in threatening weather.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 09:21:01 PM by pmmpete »

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Looks like a very nice solution!

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Thanks for the share and video.  I had planned on adding one to my PA14 at the back but you are correct about trying to climb past all my fishing gear.
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Thanks for the share and video.  I had planned on adding one to my PA14 at the back but you are correct about trying to climb past all my fishing gear.
The picture below shows what the back of my Pro Angler looks like when I'm fishing.  If the rod I'm fishing with is in the rod holder next to my left knee in the cockpit and crosses over the cockpit, I'll take it out of the rod holder and lay it down in the rear of the kayak so I don't risk getting hooked on any lure hooked on the line guides as I'm climbing into the cockpit. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 04:01:41 PM by pmmpete »

anything