Forum > Product Discussions

LiFePO4 chargers

(1/4) > >>

Tinker:
As a sister question to my question about Garmin fishfinders, the kid started asking me about LiFePO4 batteries - another topic I know nothing about.

I've been reading about them and reading the consumer comments/complaints.  Almost all of the negative comments seem to address the failure of the battery charger, which I found curious, especially since most claim (without proof) they're using a recommended charger and it still killed their battery.

Who's using LiFePO4 batteries?  What charger are you using?  And does anyone feel like adopting a Millennial and getting him off of my hands?  He knows how to install fiber-optic cable...

DBam:
Pretty sure my charger handles lead acid and lifepo; it's a smart charger. Was given to me by an electrical engineer. Nice thing about it is I can charge or discharge batteries at a rate of my choosing and it stops before overcharging. It's sitting at my folk's place, I'll swing by there and get some more info for you.

Tinker:
Thank you.  I appreciate it.

Nobaddays:

--- Quote from: Tinker on October 24, 2022, 02:32:06 AM ---As a sister question to my question about Garmin fishfinders, the kid started asking me about LiFePO4 batteries - another topic I know nothing about.

I've been reading about them and reading the consumer comments/complaints.  Almost all of the negative comments seem to address the failure of the battery charger, which I found curious, especially since most claim (without proof) they're using a recommended charger and it still killed their battery.

Who's using LiFePO4 batteries?  What charger are you using?  And does anyone feel like adopting a Millennial and getting him off of my hands?  He knows how to install fiber-optic cable...

--- End quote ---

I have been using a Bioenno 20 ah LiFePO4 battery for a couple years.  I have nothing but good to say about it.  I have used it for five days of fishing with my Garmin Striker 7 plus ff without charging and it still had plenty of power to go longer.  I use the charger that came with it.  The charger is really simple and only works for that battery, but it charges quickly and I haven’t had any issues.

And no, I’m quite content with an empty nest right now.

Matt M:
Many come with a charger which would be fine, the "off brand" battery I picked up did not so I grabbed this charger on a recommendation from a friend who had used the same: https://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower-Charger-Lithium-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B087C9WZZC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1XX7ALGCUVLKU&keywords=expertpower%2Blifepo4%2Bcharger&qid=1666620956&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=expertpower%2Blifepo4%2Bcharger%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-3&th=1

I haven't had any issues with it and it works well for me. There's faster chargers but with a fish finder battery a 2amp seemed more than fast enough for me; an overnight charge would get me nearly full on my 20ah battery. I would imagine essentially all chargers like this are made in China and ymmv on that front. I am sure you could find a "better" charger for 5-10 times the cost but who knows if it would bring much benefit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version