Forum > Product Discussions

LiFePO4 chargers

<< < (2/4) > >>

Tinker:

--- Quote from: Nobaddays on October 24, 2022, 06:58:09 AM ---I have been using a Bioenno 20 ah LiFePO4 battery for a couple years.  I have nothing but good to say about it.  I have used it for five days of fishing with my Garmin Striker 7 plus ff without charging and it still had plenty of power to go longer.  I use the charger that came with it.  The charger is really simple and only works for that battery, but it charges quickly and I haven’t had any issues.

And no, I’m quite content with an empty nest right now.

--- End quote ---

Twenty amp hours?  Twenty?  I thought 10 aH was a lot.

You're sure you don't need some fiber optic cable strung somewhere?

--- Quote from: Matt M on October 24, 2022, 07:18:18 AM ---Many come with a charger which would be fine, the "off brand" battery I picked up did not so I grabbed this charger on a recommendation from a friend who had used the same...

[ExpertPower 12V 2A Smart Charger for Lithium LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Rechargeable Batteries]

I haven't had any issues with it and it works well for me. There's faster chargers but with a fish finder battery a 2amp seemed more than fast enough for me; an overnight charge would get me nearly full on my 20ah battery. I would imagine essentially all chargers like this are made in China and ymmv on that front. I am sure you could find a "better" charger for 5-10 times the cost but who knows if it would bring much benefit.

--- End quote ---

Thank you, Matt.  I looked at it but was bit concerned about some of the comments - presuming they bought the real thing and not a counterfeit (always a dangerous assumption on Amazon).

You and that Nobaddays guy like 20 aH batteries?  I thought the kid's interest in a 10 aH battery was a bit excessive and now I'm sure you're both entertaining yourselves playing video games when the fishing is slow.   :angel:

rogerdodger:
I have been using LiFePO4 batteries for almost 2 years now, 200amp-hr, 50amp-hr, several 12amp-hr and 5amp-hr.  Fantastic technology but not cheap. I am really careful with how I charge them. First rule of LiFePO4- never charge if cell temp is below freezing, kills them dead.

I have 2 chargers for them:

For the smaller ones, or to top up the 50amp-hr, I have a Tenergy TB6AC+80W IDBC, probably overkill but allows you to select any battery type, # of cells, allows temperature input and so on. 

For the 50 and 200 substantial charging I use a dedicated LiFePO4 charger: LNLEE 12V15A

cheers, roger

Matt M:

--- Quote from: Tinker on October 24, 2022, 02:12:30 PM ---
Thank you, Matt.  I looked at it but was bit concerned about some of the comments - presuming they bought the real thing and not a counterfeit (always a dangerous assumption on Amazon).

You and that Nobaddays guy like 20 aH batteries?  I thought the kid's interest in a 10 aH battery was a bit excessive and now I'm sure you're both entertaining yourselves playing video games when the fishing is slow.   :angel:

--- End quote ---

I can get analysis paralysis when reading amazon reviews as well, they can certainly be helpful but I guess it tempers on my expectations vs the cost. If the cost is higher than I get to be a bit more discerning, if lower then I am willing to roll the dice on it. YMMV depending on the amount of time you have to go through all the reviews.

When I was looking to upgrade to Lifepo4 battery I went through and looked at all the different brands, sizes, prices, etc and utimately figured I could purchase an off brand 20ah that may or may not be exactly 20ah, but had been tested to be close to that (+/- 10%) or pay a bit more for a more name brand (but still likely made in the same factory) 8 or 10ah battery. To me the decision seemed easy since I know I am not always the best at charging things and if I forget after a trip (or two) I should still get a good day fishing on it. If I forget more than that then there's no helping me. I also built a simple battery box for it with USB charger and 12v plug for camping or off grid situations, necessary? Probably not, but fun to make during the long winter we this year and last. 

Tinker:

--- Quote from: rogerdodger on October 24, 2022, 02:42:10 PM ---For the smaller ones, or to top up the 50amp-hr, I have a Tenergy TB6AC+80W IDBC, probably overkill but allows you to select any battery type, # of cells, allows temperature input and so on. 

For the 50 and 200 substantial charging I use a dedicated LiFePO4 charger: LNLEE 12V15A

cheers, roger

--- End quote ---

Thank you.  That Tenergy charger isn't too much more costly than the Battery Tender charger I use on my SLA's.  Good news!

--- Quote from: Matt M on October 25, 2022, 09:06:53 AM ---I can get analysis paralysis when reading amazon reviews as well, they can certainly be helpful but I guess it tempers on my expectations vs the cost. If the cost is higher than I get to be a bit more discerning, if lower then I am willing to roll the dice on it. YMMV depending on the amount of time you have to go through all the reviews.

--- End quote ---

Analysis paralysis is what I get.  Don't know about the kid, 'though.

--- Quote from: Matt M on October 25, 2022, 09:06:53 AM ---I was looking to upgrade to Lifepo4 battery I went through and looked at all the different brands, sizes, prices, etc and utimately figured I could purchase an off brand 20ah that may or may not be exactly 20ah, but had been tested to be close to that (+/- 10%) or pay a bit more for a more name brand (but still likely made in the same factory) 8 or 10ah battery. To me the decision seemed easy since I know I am not always the best at charging things and if I forget after a trip (or two) I should still get a good day fishing on it. If I forget more than that then there's no helping me. I also built a simple battery box for it with USB charger and 12v plug for camping or off grid situations, necessary? Probably not, but fun to make during the long winter we this year and last. 

--- End quote ---

Good thoughts to pass along.  Thank you.  My winter project seems to be doing this for someone who obviously thinks I have too much free time.

A question for you fellows using batteries with higher amperages: are they significantly larger than the 10aH batteries?  Not that monster 50aH battery, roger - that just must be a bigger unit.  I'm asking because I have a spare battery box that would hold a 10aH SLA and I'd be happier if I didn't have to build a new box for the kid, but if I must, I must.

Grandkids and their friends are a mixed blessing.

YakHunter:
Building battery boxes can be a pain.  I brought my Dewalt based battery box to elk camp and my brother was so enamored with it that I gave it to him.  Now I have to build another one for me.......  New winter project.  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version