Forum > Drillin' & Cuttin'

Kayak Repair Question - SOLVED

(1/2) > >>

Tinker:
The kids are coming down soon, bringing a kayak with them to see if we - meaning me, I reckon - can fill in some holes left behind when they removed a Scotty mount.  From their description of the mount, it sounds like a Scotty 241 Surface Mount, and I believe the bolts for those are around 3/16-inch in diameter.

Would you recommend using a KC welder to melt the plastic into the holes?  Is there a reliable, less expensive tool - even the non-Hobie version runs $88 - that'll do the job?  Is there a better way to fill-in the holes than by using a welder and HDPE rods?

I expect to only do something like this once...

kredden:
I use the Hobie one now that I work at a dealer but I've used this cheap Harbor Freight one in the past and it did OK for filling holes.

https://www.harborfreight.com/80-watt-iron-plastic-welding-kit-60662.html

Kevin

kaz:

--- Quote from: Tinker on July 15, 2023, 08:57:00 AM ---The kids are coming down soon, bringing a kayak with them to see if we - meaning me, I reckon - can fill in some holes left behind when they removed a Scotty mount.  From their description of the mount, it sounds like a Scotty 241 Surface Mount, and I believe the bolts for those are around 3/16-inch in diameter.

Would you recommend using a KC welder to melt the plastic into the holes?  Is there a reliable, less expensive tool - even the non-Hobie version runs $88 - that'll do the job?  Is there a better way to fill-in the holes than by using a welder and HDPE rods?

I expect to only do something like this once...

--- End quote ---

I've linked a video of a guy using Swix P-Stiks to repair scratches in his Hobie. He doesn't use a welder; he just ignites the plastic rods and drips the liquified plastic into the scratches.   I've used this method to fill some screw holes in my Necky Dolphin14,  and after several months all is well. I had access to the underside of the holes so I backed the holes with a small square of heavy aluminum foil - held on with masking tape.  Good luck.

*Rods were purchased from Amazon - about $10.   

Tinker:
Thank you, Kevin.  Sure, you guys at dealers get all the good stuff and the rest of we peasants have to settle for the Harbor Freight junk, but if it works, and I only need in once...  Thanks!

- Kevin

--- Quote from: kredden on July 15, 2023, 09:11:19 AM ---I use the Hobie one now that I work at a dealer but I've used this cheap Harbor Freight one in the past and it did OK for filling holes.

https://www.harborfreight.com/80-watt-iron-plastic-welding-kit-60662.html

Kevin

--- End quote ---

Tinker:
Thank you.  I watched that video this morning and at first, I went "Eureka!" then I followed the link to Amazon and learned the P-Sticks aren't made with HDPE.  I'll check it out again since you've had luck with it.

Hey, since a Dolphin is on my list of kayaks-I'm-looking-for, but they're darned hard to learn about, would you tell me what you think of the one I've sent a link to in the PM I'm about to send?

--- Quote from: kaz on July 15, 2023, 10:18:23 AM ---I've linked a video of a guy using Swix P-Stiks to repair scratches in his Hobie. He doesn't use a welder; he just ignites the plastic rods and drips the liquified plastic into the scratches.   I've used this method to fill some screw holes in my Necky Dolphin14,  and after several months all is well. I had access to the underside of the holes so I backed the holes with a small square of heavy aluminum foil - held on with masking tape.  Good luck.

*Rods were purchased from Amazon - about $10.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version