Forum > Product Discussions

What do you wear for the salt/freshwater?

<< < (7/8) > >>

OtisPBody:
I picked up an NRS Extreme SAR Dry suit from Feldfire.com for around $700 after coupon. About $300 less than other places. Haven’t used it yet but it fits really nice.

Eugene:
Hi Guys! A small question for those who have a suit with no hood. How do you protect head from cold and rain? It is normal to wear some extra jacket over the dry suit?

snopro:

--- Quote from: Eugene on October 08, 2020, 03:15:29 PM ---How do you protect head from cold and rain? It is normal to wear some extra jacket over the dry suit?

--- End quote ---

Seattle sombrero for rain, sleet and wet snow. Throw a fleece beanie on underneath if it's cold.

All my layers are worn under the suit.  Never thought of wearing them over.

Dark Tuna:

--- Quote from: Eugene on October 08, 2020, 03:15:29 PM ---Hi Guys! A small question for those who have a suit with no hood. How do you protect head from cold and rain? It is normal to wear some extra jacket over the dry suit?

--- End quote ---
Rain hat from Outdoor Research (like a boonie).  For cold a regular merino wool cap.  If extremes I may wear a thin neoprene dive hoodie and a straw hat.   A thicker (not cotton) buff.

If snowing I stay home.

I wear glasses and rain on the lenses is a real PIA though after a while I guess my brain adjusts and I just see through the distortions.

Captain Redbeard:
Good suggestions above. I have definitely battled getting cold on Nov/Dec days. I like a heavy fleece neck gaiter, a close-fitting fleece hat that covers the ears, and then a GoreTex wide-brim hat. Also don't forget that the warmer your core is the warmer everything else will stay. I've found synthetic or wool heavy (but not tight!) layers help keep my core warm and give me more time before my feet and hands get numb.

Additionally, one of our resident cold water kayakers (pmmpete) does recommend putting a large coat (with hood?) over the drysuit top in extreme conditions. My only concern would be an immersion scenario - you're going to have to get that thing off and ditch it once it's soaked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version