Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 11:21:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[Today at 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Shockingly bad behavior on the C today  (Read 3157 times)

Sinker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I will try to give as unvarnished account as possible. 

Several others witnessed this cluster@#$% as well.

We were anchored up a little ways off of a hogline on the Columbia.  There were 5 or 6 boats in a line about 100 yards from us so we got a good view of what happened. 

The first thing I noticed was a large sailboat coming upstream that decided to go right between two boats in the line.  I could not see exactly how much room they had, but the guys fishing were pissed and some tense words were exchanged. 

Shortly after that the sailboat turned around and came right back between the two boats just to prove a point I guess.  I thought there was going to be bloodshed, but everyone kept cool.   

Almost immediately afterward a small cabin cruiser with a megaphone came from a nearby yaght club and anchored  right at the end of the hogline.  I did not hear the entire thing, but I did hear something to the effect that, "we have every right," or some such thing.  Craig said that he heard them saying that they had gotten coastguard approval for something.  I still had no clue what was going on, but I did notice a bunch of sailboats approaching from all directions. 

Immediately after the announcement a boat from the yacht club came out a started dropping big buoys on anchors, and he dropped one of them about 15 yards upstream of all the fishing boats.  They did not even give those guys time to move! 

Of course at this point it was clear that there was going to be some sort of race.  I had a little trouble figuring out why, in such a big river, they had to put the buoy right there.  Had they moved 50 yards in one direction, everyone could have shared the river in peace, and it would have been fun to watch the sailboats.   

As it was, all the fishing boats bugged out (fishing sucked anyway), but of course one guy was hooked on the  buoy from the yacht club.  He just pulled it in and cut the line sending the buoy down stream.  I cheered for him.

It was kind of fun to watch the race, but the whole time I had a bad taste in my mouth from seeing fellow fishermen being treated that way.   

We did not move and even though we were not in the way there were several sailboats that obviously chose courses to buzz us, probably trying to get us to leave.  Not having a turning prop underneath, I was kind of hoping one would get too close so I could mess up the finish  >:D

So here is the thing.  I have never seen any behavior like this from recreational boaters.  Usually everyone tries to share the water and respect the rights of others.  I look at it this way - even if I do not like the guy in that boat over there, he is the one who is going to save my behind if something bad happens to me.  We all kind of look out for one another out there. 

These folks all seemed to show up spoiling for a fight.  It certainly reflects poorly on that club, and the sailing community as a whole.   

Now I am wondering, other than writing a strongly worded letter to the management of the yacht club, is there anything else I should do.  I am not sure weather any laws were broken, but they definitely put people at risk. 

I would much rather be up a creek without a paddle than down one.

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
Which club and where did this happen?

Seems lots of rules were broken here. Someone should have called the CG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Not to defend the sailors....but our Yacht Club has a pre-set course they use all season long. I would not get all pissy with the Yacht Club, but go have a beer with them and talk it over, I'm sure they will let you know when the next race is scheduled, and the course they will use.
 That being said, I have no explanation as to why the large boat would sail between two others that are anchored, just a bad move by the Captain I would say.

the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Where you guys are fishing I have seen that happen over and over and over.  First comes the dick with the megaphone setting the 3 big red buoys, then the covey of entitled sailboats.  Lets just say I've used my full vocabulary and my big boy voice more than once while fishing there.   

The other sailboat's action is also fairly common. Weekend sunshine sailors with delusions of grandeur who feel that since they are under sail they have the right of way in any situation.  I've seen them fail to give way to barges.

Sinker

• Lingcod
Wow, that's odd that this happens frequently.

You would think that somehow over the years a protocol would have been put into place to prevent conflict... Unless of course someone gets a kick out of the conflict itself.

In terms of getting pissed,  you should have seen it!  It is dangerous to mess up the mooring of boats in a current. 

Crossed lines can lead to more than foul language.

j-fek

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Over all it was hilarious  :D
here fishy fishy fishy!!!

Jammer

• KayakFishingOregon.com
  • Sturgeon
  • Kayak Fishing Oregon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Now I'm wishing I would have pulled out my phone to film it. The guys in the sailboat named"Wyearly" are complete dicks! The "Wyearly" then returned a second time on full sail and pass between to anchored fishing boats again that are no more then 25' apart.
Coulda shoulda woulda!
• Stohlquist • Team Daiwa • Yakima Bait Company

2015 Hobie Fishing Team "Top Gun"
2012 Hobie Worlds Team USA - 19th place
2012 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2010 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place
2010 Cape Dis. Dungie Tourney - 1st place

KAYAK FISHING OREGON
www.youtube.com/jmrischer

Kyle M

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I was out near the Gleason ramp yesterday on anchor and nearly got hit by a sailboat.  I have a signaling horn that I need to plug my ears when I blow it and it was very effective in getting their attention. It was so close I was shaken up for awhile afterwards. In my case i think they just weren't paying attention.  Quite a zoo out there.

Sinker

• Lingcod
Jammer, prepare for a good natured ribbing here.

You have like 7 gopros on your yak!  Now please explain to me why you would have used your cell to film anything.  Haha

I do wish someone had gotten that whole thing on film.  I am sure the coast guard would have found it interesting.

Jammer

• KayakFishingOregon.com
  • Sturgeon
  • Kayak Fishing Oregon
Jammer, prepare for a good natured ribbing here.

You have like 7 gopros on your yak!  Now please explain to me why you would have used your cell to film anything.  Haha

I do wish someone had gotten that whole thing on film.  I am sure the coast guard would have found it interesting.
Yes, (2 cameras) but nothing points straight out in the 3 o'clock position where all the action was. ;)
Maybe next time

KAYAK FISHING OREGON

dberd

• Salmon
Does Jammer have a target on his boat? More close calls   >:(
" History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man"  BOC

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
At the moment he's mounting a howitzer!!!
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

Jammer

• KayakFishingOregon.com
  • Sturgeon
  • Kayak Fishing Oregon
Does Jammer have a target on his boat? More close calls   >:(
Yikes... This time it was NOT me :) , but 2 fisherman anchored in fishing boats.

The most f'ed up part is the sailboat came ripping thru before the race official came by informing everyone what was going on.

KAYAK FISHING OREGON