Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:01:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:56:30 PM]

[Today at 05:45:28 PM]

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Whiskey Gulch 2022  (Read 3357 times)

MikeA210

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Just moved back to AK after being gone for 2 years, anyone planning Whiskey Gulch trips late APR/MAY etc ? Trying to regain connections so I can launch with buddies. The water up here is a little chilly compared to Florida  ;)

I've got a Hobie Outback with a TI7 triple shot and have been kayak fishing for almost 9 years now. Also already have a dry suit from last time I was up here. Looking forward to making some fishing buddies and getting these lines tight.

YakHunter

• Salmon
  • Retired!
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
If you slightly crop your photos they will load up correctly.  Don't know why but it works....
Hobie PA14
Hobie Outback
Hobie Adventure Island
Hobie Tandem Island
Jackson CudaHD
BlueSky 360 Angler

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Hey Mike, welcome back to God's Country. Although FL isn't such a bad alternative for diving and fishing.

I'm sure there are some AK lurkers out there but the momentum has shifted....dare I say dramatically....since your earlier presence. Perhaps if a few of us start posting some "mouth-watering photos" and vids it might revive the enthusiasm of others.

I'm located in Soldotna so am right in the heart of paradise, meaning much less than a tank of diesel for a round trip anywhere from Seward to Homer. LOL I haven't sampled the salt yet this year as its still a bit early for the Hooligan and Herring runs along the beach, but not that far off. In the meantime, I've been waiting for Kenai Lake to ice out so I can get up there and fish the bait fishing area beyond the 1/4 mile ADFG markers and put 3 species on the AOTY board as a Spring start. Still ice on the lake but its beginning to break in spots from what my sources say. I might give that a try on Saturday and launch from the bridge ramp unless they are charging. If so I'll go across the bridge and haul down the easement to the river for free.

Looking at the Whisky Gulch Tide Tables we have just entered the Big tide sets with a peak of minus 3.6 on 4/19.  Saturday 4/23 is back to neap tides with sunrise at 6:22am and a high tide at 8:27am. And only a 9 foot tide difference from the early morning low. I'm kinda eye-balling that potential window right now. That would give 2 hours before high to fish and have high water to return to the beach if the expected breeze kicks up by mid morning.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

MikeA210

• Herring
Hey Klondike,

Im almost certain we met back in 2016/17 but I don't quite recall. I don't know if there is apps or websites you use to ID the windows for weather/thresh hold for unfavorable conditions up here are.

As much as I would love to mooch information and fishing windows off of you and only worry about driving south and floating with a hook in the water ;), Id also like to be proactive so I can be more predictable for giving my wife a heads up. Do you look at websites/have apps that help you look at weather at whiskey? I already have plans Friday (when I would want to drive down to fish SAT morning) or I'd ask to tag along. But I haven't made plans any weekends moving forward. What size hooks do you use? 16/0? Do you have a preference in bait? Last time I would just buy frozen hoochies from cabalas and use that, but I'm always down for alternative suggestions.

For the past 2 1/2 years I've been launching with a live well and catching live on sabiki's, living 15 minutes from launching, gotta get back in the preparation mode needed for prepping in advance and driving 4 hours -_-

Thanks for the response and I look forward to hearing from you!

MikeA210

• Herring
I just reserved an RV Spot at Whiskey Point for memorial day weekend so hopefully during that weekend there will be a window or two to hit the water. hopefully I see some of you all out there!

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
I just reserved an RV Spot at Whiskey Point for memorial day weekend so hopefully during that weekend there will be a window or two to hit the water. hopefully I see some of you all out there!

Hey Mike
I'll send you a PM soon. There are going to be a few earlier opportunities for you (besides the lakes opening up on ice out) and the benefit is they are much closer to home that I'll pass on to you. I'm sure you might be interested in those as additional options. We can discuss WG strategies too. My annual goal is always to break the century mark on a halibut (I'm at 92+ so far) so your reference to live wells as an indication of live bait fishing really got my attention. I've got an battery-powered aerator as well as live bait nets for just that type of fishing. Because kayak range is limited to areas that don't offer near as many opportunities to catch a true barndoor, live bait is the best method for targeting the 100#+ fish that are typically reluctant to bite a tradition chunk of bait.
~KK~

MikeA210

• Herring
Wooof. Guess i shouldnt have sold my hobie livewell before moving back up.  :-\ Okay sounds good. As long as i get a week or so heads up i should be able to get down. Have to stay on my wifes good side hehe

Davenanchorpoint

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
I can't see Russia from my place, but I've been watching massive white caps at WG with the naked eye for a few days now. Where's Marilyn Monroe when you need her? Hope this wind dies down soon.

I'm a newbie so my goal this year is to catch enough halibut to maybe equal a century and not screw up bad enough to make the local news.

I'll probably see you down there. I'll be the guy with the shiny Outback, stain free dry suit and probably the wrong gear.   

MikeA210

• Herring
I can't see Russia from my place, but I've been watching massive white caps at WG with the naked eye for a few days now. Where's Marilyn Monroe when you need her? Hope this wind dies down soon.

I'm a newbie so my goal this year is to catch enough halibut to maybe equal a century and not screw up bad enough to make the local news.

I'll probably see you down there. I'll be the guy with the shiny Outback, stain free dry suit and probably the wrong gear.

Hahah that was the best opener I've read in a while. Nice to be able to see the water conditions from where you're at while at home! Thats the dream.

You'll be good man, go out with another, don't push your limits especially in these waters. A day drinking a beer on the beach waiting for glassy water always beats the butt puckering moments of huge swells and white knuckle pedaling, and the sea sickness...

If you want I'll DM you my phone number and contact info so I can hit you up when I'm heading south for fishing and we can hit the water together.

Davenanchorpoint

• Plankton
Sounds good. At least there will be a witness.

KK has been schooling me on the do's and don'ts. He's a wealth of knowledge and very generous to share it.

I have to figure out how resurrect my frozen bait to catch a big fish now.   

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
Sounds good. At least there will be a witness.
KK has been schooling me on the do's and don'ts. He's a wealth of knowledge and very generous to share it.
I have to figure out how resurrect my frozen bait to catch a big fish now.

Hey Dave did you ever build up that kayak towing rig for your Rokon or 6x6?  I'm still mentally engineering ideas for mine although its really not rocket science.

FINALLY a calm day here in Soldotna. 8 or 9 days straight of ripping wind, yesterday up to 30mph. I figured the Inlet was a froth of white caps during that period and doubt even the power boats were going out. Just finishing up building my hooligan gillnet for putting some smelt in the freezer for summer bait and chum....and eagle food for Denali when he stops by. He was gone for 10 days chasing girls but showed up yesterday evening. Just so happened I had thawed out a freezer pack of hooligan for a couple other eagles that didn't show so he got a bonus portion. But he missed out on the snowshoe hare I dispatched in my garden last week. One of the others bagged that.

Davenanchorpoint

• Plankton
KK,
I haven't even got to the tow-rig thinking part. I've been busier than a one-legged cat in a sand box trying to get the green house ready and build raised garden beds for the apocalypse. I'll probably do like every other Neanderthal and just grunt and pull for now. At least I have those fancy Hobie bouncy pillow tires. Maybe after a few trips and I'll engage the brain again. 

MikeA210

• Herring
KK,
I haven't even got to the tow-rig thinking part. I've been busier than a one-legged cat in a sand box trying to get the green house ready and build raised garden beds for the apocalypse. I'll probably do like every other Neanderthal and just grunt and pull for now. At least I have those fancy Hobie bouncy pillow tires. Maybe after a few trips and I'll engage the brain again.

Ill be in your neck of the woods memorial day weekend. Ill reach out. Hoping for good weather

Davenanchorpoint

• Plankton
Good weather or good beer. If we're lucky maybe both.

This will probably get me banned from the site, but I'll have to take the "boss of me" out in the "inflatable" one of those days since she's off that weekend. Yep, make man points great again.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Good weather or good beer. If we're lucky maybe both.

This will probably get me banned from the site, but I'll have to take the "boss of me" out in the "inflatable" one of those days since she's off that weekend. Yep, make man points great again.

HA!  It'll take more than that to get banned here. Most folks,are pretty tolerant here, but there have been a few.... exceptions...More likely you'll end up,on the couch at home..

Hope all goes well for the 3 of you., WG sounds like a hoot .
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....