Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 02:19:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 05:23:17 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 04:21:47 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: First Real Fish from my Outback!  (Read 2839 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Ok, so last week I jigged up a few herring and undersize rockfish.  That doesn't count.  So I launch out of Seward near Miller's landing and make it almost to Caines Head.  I manage to pick up my first coho of the year and the christening real fish for my new outback!  WOOHOO! Nothing huge.  Maybe 6 pounds and 22.5 inches.

Caught it on 5.0 coyote spoon right off Tonsina Creek.  I had one other one on but lost it at the same place but when I was headed back in.  I thought I might hook a chum but I am pretty sure the fish I lost was a coho by the way it fought.  This outback sure is worth its money when it comes to trolling and letting out flashers and such without tangling.

I spent about half the day jigging with not much to show for it.  I did manage a small greenling I was going to send down for bait and then realized I should at least measure it and get points.

The wind and rain pick up and it gets cold so I decide to call it a day.  the outback definitely gives me WAY more range!!!  Too cool.  After spending the first half of the summer getting my upper body in shape, now I need to get my legs in shape.  After I stopped for a bit, i started to cramp up and a tinge of panic as I was thinking I didn't want to paddle all the way back.  Nothing some fluids and a snickers bar couldn't take care of though! 

Going to try and hit the Kenai River Monday and see about upgrading my tiny king I entered into the AOTY.  ;D

Too bad I didn't have my act together.  I only got the back end of the battle on video.

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Nice coho, and glad to hear you like your new Outback.  Something tells me you are going to be moving up the AOTY leader board pretty quick. 

micahgee

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Nice coho, looks tasty!

Congrats on the new outback. Can't wait to see some big 'but or monster king salmon action!
“A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

www.heroesonthewater.org

Jammer

• KayakFishingOregon.com
  • Sturgeon
  • Kayak Fishing Oregon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Nice work kardinal! Looks like fun. I agree with Nate and your points and Silvers are one of my favorite tasting salmon.
See ya tomorrow
• Stohlquist • Team Daiwa • Yakima Bait Company

2015 Hobie Fishing Team "Top Gun"
2012 Hobie Worlds Team USA - 19th place
2012 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2010 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place
2010 Cape Dis. Dungie Tourney - 1st place

KAYAK FISHING OREGON
www.youtube.com/jmrischer

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Nice job...but...you will lose a  big fish one day by not having the net extended beforehand...

the Outback is the sh!t isn't it?

Like Jammer said, Coho's are yummy and are sure fun little fighters!
See ya on the water..
Roy

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  With a little bit of luck--------maybe you'll land a 50+ king tommorrow.Talk about yeee-haaaaaaa
 That'd break in that new boat nice....eh ?
Can you handle that ?????????
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Nice job...but...you will lose a  big fish one day by not having the net extended beforehand...

the Outback is the sh!t isn't it?

Like Jammer said, Coho's are yummy and are sure fun little fighters!

I agree about the net thing.  I'll work on that for sure.  The outback is the "S%^T" for sure!!!!!!!  Plenty fast for what I need it to do.  I hope this river experiment goes well.  kinda nervous.  It's a pretty fast river.

With a little bit of luck--------maybe you'll land a 50+ king tommorrow.Talk about yeee-haaaaaaa
 That'd break in that new boat nice....eh ?
Can you handle that ?????????

No luck required.  If I can "will" the boat to do what I want and I am physically capable of it, this is as good a set up as I can imagine for the River.  May have to work with no bait but with three rods working, I am very optimistic of a hookup or two.  Now landing the darn thing is another completely different side bet.

.A little nervous which seems weird given I have been out in the open ocean with a much less capable yak.  My apprehension I am sure will go away as soon as the first few wakes don't kill me. 

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
   Jammer just visited my place and we got him all set up for tommorrow.I think he's a little bit pumped and ready to hit the water in the morning.No,not a little,a lot !!!!!!!!!!!!
   I'll load up the boats tonite and see you guys at 7:30 am.This is gonna be bad-azz.......
   No nets in our boats,we're gonna tail em.
   Got a good selection of tackle,good poles,good attitude,and great numbers of fishes (106,303 sockeye on the 23rd)(cumulative since July 1st 935,142 sockeye)
   Stay tuned folks --I'm sure there will be more..................
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
I'm getting pumped for you guys!!Hope you get a 40 pounder..Yes, I'll be jealous as hell!

Be safe and kill 'em!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 07:20:32 PM by coosbayyaker »
See ya on the water..
Roy

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
On river report is excellent. Lots of kings and still reds low in the river.

Should be good!!!!

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com