Forum > Washington Kayak Fishing

Where and when to fish for Summer Chinook in Puget Sound

(1/22) > >>

workhard:
Below are a set of graphs I like to make that show a CPUE over a time series for the usual fishery dates for Chinook in the Sound. CPUE stands for Catch Per Unit of Effort and usually calculated as the sum of fish landed per day per area divided by the sum of anglers per area per day. It can be effectively interpreted as the average probability an angler will catch and retain a Chinook for a given day in a given area. These graphs contain CPUE for the last 16 years smoothed with a loess (local regression not the mean). They should, and from mine and some other fishermen's experience, give an indication of how good fishing is in a time period for a given area. It'd be a good idea to fish an area in a time near it's given peak.

Edit: Forgot MA11

DesertPaddler (DK):
Interesting! I now understand why it takes me 10 outings to catch a salmon!  ;D

Noob Noob:

--- Quote from: workhard on July 18, 2019, 08:58:40 AM ---Below are a set of graphs I like to make that show a CPUE over a time series for the usual fishery dates for Chinook in the Sound. CPUE stands for Catch Per Unit of Effort and usually calculated as the sum of fish landed per day per area divided by the sum of anglers per area per day. It can be effectively interpreted as the average probability an angler will catch and retain a Chinook for a given day in a given area. These graphs contain CPUE for the last 16 years smoothed with a loess (local regression not the mean). They should, and from mine and some other fishermen's experience, give an indication of how good fishing is in a time period for a given area. It'd be a good idea to fish an area in a time near it's given peak.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, workhard!  :D

Super psyched that my "backyard" (MA10) is opening up in another week. Would be amazing if my first salmon turns out to be a Chinook!

Captain Fathom:
Nice graphs, thank you!

demonick:
Totally awesome. Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version