Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2026, 12:15:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 03, 2026, 05:47:33 PM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Penn 321 gti...  (Read 3992 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

revjcp

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Don't judge me...
  • Location: Shelton, WA
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
  • Posts: 1924
I just ended up with one of these paired with an ugly stick.  Good for halibut? 
Malibu Mini-X

Formers Rides...
OK Trident 13
Hobie Outback


CraigVM62

  • Salmon
  • ******
  • Location: Sumner
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
  • Posts: 579
Plenty of line capacity with braid.  Depending on what line weight your fishing with, it would just be a matter of what shape the drag is in.    I think the 321 stock has under 10 lbs of drag.  If using the rule of thumb of 25% drag setting to line weight, no problem fishing 40 lbs line.   Many experienced anglers see a reels drag limit determined by their thumb.   There is also a good bit of info around regarding beefing up the drag on Penn reels.   

I have always used this method for setting up  lever drags.  Should work just the same to test a star drag to see what it is giving you.     

« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 11:52:42 PM by CraigVM62 »
I used to think that Bigfoot might exist. Then I saw the reality shows where they are looking for them.  Now I am certain they don't


Fungunnin

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
  • Posts: 2548
10 pounds of drag is plenty. The 321 holds 400 yards of 50 pound braid. It will do just fine as a halibut reel if you like a left handed reel for deep water.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2



 

anything