Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2026, 03:52:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

[July 30, 2026, 03:52:25 PM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Hobie Welding Kit Questions  (Read 2710 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Fugitive

  • Perch
  • ***
  • Location: West Linn, Oregon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
  • Posts: 60
I'm pretty hard on my both my Hobie's.  I have my share of scratches & gouges in the keels at the bow and stern.  Some of the stern scratches are caused by my "unique" solo loading/unloading into my truck bed off of the carts without unloading the kayaks.  Others are the usual: rocks, concrete ramps & curbs, etc.  I've looked at the thread about laminating materials to the keel and not sure I want to commit in that direction.  So I can up with the potentially bad plan of utilizing the "welding" kit and filler rods Hobie sells.  I would like this to be preventive maintenance, creating very small wear pads.  Here are my questions:

Has anyone used the welding kit/rod that Hobie's sells, to fill the gouges?   Will the filler rods bond to the hull well?   I am assuming the welded area will look different, if I do this my plan would be to shape the built up welded area then lightly sand the area to "blend" the areas into the bottom. 


demonick

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
  • Posts: 2835
I built a wooden keel guard with 4 eyelets. The forward two use a bungie hooking the rear lacing button. The aft eyelets use a short bungie slung just forward of the rudder. It takes about 30 second to put it on and take it off.

Also, check out this thread about applying a permanent keel guard.
http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=13265.0
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com